Change in plans

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hello,

We have an idea of changing our company methods for creating assembly & detailed drawings. Our current situation is: We have an assembly with 10 to 15 parts. We make an assembly drawing and 10-15 detailed plans for the shop to construct the product.

What if we made only 1 plan with 10-15 sheets in it? The sheets would be named as: Assembly: 80-000 and detailed plans called: 80-000-100, 80-000-101, 80-000-102, etc...

would this be a good idea and is anyone else using this setup to give us advantages and disadvantages? What about printing documents, space used on the network share (would it be less?), Would it be easier to manage?

Would it be possible to generate a list of plans, based on the sheet names, or a table on each detailed sheet; plannumber -  plantitle - drawn by - date of creation? this would be a resume list to put on the first sheet.

Thx, Johan
7 REPLIES

Re: Change in plans

Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

I am sure you will get lots of folks responding, but let me give my POV. We see this A LOT with files we get from customers. And in fact in ST7 we've made it easier to do this. Stay tuned...

Dan Staples
Director, Solid Edge Product Development

Phenom
Phenom

Johan,

We do exactly that. We will have possibly 2 or more plans per project, depending on the project size. And each Plan can have numerous sheets. We like to show the Full Assembly in order to give the Machinist an Idea as to how the part(s) will interface and what the final assembly will look like. So Sheet one is usually an overall View(s) of the the Assembly and even exploded views. Then each Sheet after that is detailed and also shows a "ghosted"  3D view of the assembly and the part is the only Color Shaded part in the view. This helps again for the Machinist to understand the part better.

The reason for this approach is many time I'll get a call to ask if I really wanted a part made a specified. Their understanding of the machining process is invaluabl and can sometimes avoid mistakes.

see below:

draft sheet 1.png

draft sheet 2.png

Now my Machinest gets the whole assembly in one package... no hunting for lost parts and very rarely do things get made imporoperely in spite of our mistakes.

We've had many "Plans" have upwards of 20 or 30 sheets, so I think your approach is fine.

And as Dan states,  ST7 sounds like they've made it even easier to do.

Bob

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Johan,  the majority of my customers go the separate drawing for each part or weldment method.  One reason for this is that some parts are used on multiple machines.  Also if the product has many sub-assemblies it is more practical to use the separate drawing method, especially when it comes to revision tracking.

Mike

Johan,

We follow the method as described by Mike. We just have to many generic parts and weldments that are being used over a whole range of machines. Revision control would be very difficult if one part is linked to numerous drafts.

If all parts and sub-assemblies are tied to only one project I would consider using a single draft file with numerous sheets.

Regards,

Theodore

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Thx for the suggestions,

BobMileti wrote: Johan, We do exactly that. We will have possibly 2 or more plans per project, depending on the project size
OK, nice to see that our "new" approach is a valid one.

Mike wrote: Johan,  the majority of my customers go the separate drawing for each part or weldment method. One reason for this is that some parts are used on multiple machines.
When parts occur in more projects, it's possible a library part with a library plan, so no detail needed here.

Other things that comes to my mind:
- How do you handle titleblocks - are they just plain text that you fill in, or are titleblock content linked from somewhere?
How do you handle Revisions? Do you only put revision on the main assembly (first sheet) with description what changes in what detailed plan, or do you give revisions also to detailed plans?

What about the drawing list that we want to put on a sheet as a resume - to see what plans comes with the assembly?

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

We create a separate Draft document for each part and sub assembly.  This is mainly because everything is under revision control and lots of things are used across products.  The Change Order process, depending on the project, may take many weeks or even months to complete and locking an entire product's worth of documentation up for that long on one change would be disasterous.

Thanks,
Ken

Production: ST9 MP7
Testing: ST10

PLM World Member Genius PLM World Member Genius
PLM World Member Genius

My self too I'm a pro one part-one draft / one assembly-one draft.

When it comes down to data management you want to have as much flexibility as possible.

However I can understand people doing it.

For me what people are looking for is not to put everything in one single document ( but this is what they are verbally saying), what they really after is how to gatther relevent documents in one place.

The answer for this is a manage environement (Insight, Insight SP or Teamcenter)

Save space? not really sure about this and you can have 3 terabytes for less than 200$

Priniting? Can't remember wich version it was introduce but we can batch print, close all document and open the application menu about half way in the menu you will see the command Print Drawings

http://www.soliddna.com/SEHelp/ST6/EN/user_interface/print2c.htm

Generate list? if all your documents are saved individually the list will be create by itself, no need to create extra tool to compensate or manage a index or......

Network share? we can have only one owner at the time for a document. Unless Dan's team introduce a multi acces for draft the first one who open the draft become the owner.

Reduce document management by reducing the number of documents? If you have too many documents to manage this mean you need to reduce their number not merge their content.

You will have less document but more complex one.

I believe their is no free lunch for this.

We all see news about GM recall. One info that leak, assuming it is true, is one P/N has two file associate.

You want to be able to track (tracability) everything associate to a single item.