Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Change the size of "Point"

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hello my friends,

I need to use the "draw point" command to create a feature where to constrain another part using the "axial alignment", it's more practical for me to use a point instead of a line, because I can constrain it in the three axis directions.

I saw that SE draw a very small point instead of a little point with a cross, as for example Inventor does, is there any chance to change the dimension of the point making it a little bit bigger, or draw it as a little cross?

Thanks

8 REPLIES 8

Re: Change the size of "Point"

Phenom
Phenom

I'm assuming you are talking of draft files ?

Set up a new line style called 'Point' and you can define the colour and line thickness - I would make them blue or red and 1.5 or 2mm thick.

Then you can select the style when you place the point, or change the style after placing.

If you don't want to set a new style you can simply click the point and change its properties.

As you say, it would be nice if the point could be displayed as a cross if required.

If you submit an Enhancement Request (ER) I'm sure many on here would support it.

Sorry - just noticed you are talking about modelling environment.

I can't see any way to change the thickness and colour of sketch geometry.

HP Z420 16GB RAM
Quadro K4000
SE2019 MP5 on Windows 10 Pro 64.

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

@Davide_Parolin  Have you considered inserting a coordinate system instead of a point?

Bruce Shand
SE2019 MP5 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

I agree with @bshand . But also, can't you constrain to only the endpoint of a line and it behave the same as it would for a point?

Solid Edge 2019
Windows 7 Professional
Nvidia K2200 & Intel Xeon
"You're doing it wrong"

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

@beachcomber 

Yes I was talking about the sketch during the creation of a part or metal sheet

@bshand 

Never thought about that...it's seem more complicated than draw a point, but  I will try, thanks for the suggestion!

@nominus38 

I tried that, but I cannot use the line endpoint as an axis as I could do with a point.

Thanks for all the suggestions given!

Not sure what's difficult about a coord sys. Doesn't require a sketch although you can use one to locate it if you like. Gives you control of all six axes. Is very visible.

It's not clear to me why a line end point would offer less than a point.

Bruce Shand
SE2019 MP5 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Hi @Davide_Parolin 

first I must apologize to not have posted any answer the last couple of days.

But I was at a conference and there we had no good chance of fully use the net.

I also had suggested - as done by @bshand  - to either use a coordinate system, or my first thoughts went into the direction of taking a sphere (in fact a big point) or a circle (big 2d point) instead.

regards
Wolfgang

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi @bshand , the "difficult" on a coordinate system is just a matter of time surely it's better than a point on a sketch, but to draw a point is very fast, for me, it's a habit that come from Inventor, it can draw 2D and 3D points (and axis) without any sketch, and it's very useful for constrain parts or 3D sketches.

@hawcad I'll also do as you suggest, but a circle could be intercepted as a cut or extrusion sketch, if you don't draw it as construction line, a point don't.

Anyway, thanks again for all our suggestions.

Phenom
Phenom

I'm still a bit puzzled as to what you are trying to achieve.

Are you creating a point in a sketch so that you can use the inferred axis for axial alignment ?

If so, when you show the sketch in your assembly the point should show quite clearly.

HP Z420 16GB RAM
Quadro K4000
SE2019 MP5 on Windows 10 Pro 64.