Highlighted

Changing Block Origin

Creator
Creator

So I have a 2d block that I created, I have the origin nicely placed in the center so that I can easily place it in my drawing.  I then changed the block making the part longer, not the origin is no longer centered on the block.  How the heck do I change the location of the part origin short of unblocking the lines and recreating the block?

Thanks

8 REPLIES

Betreff: Changing Block Origin

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

Hi @bziegler

the only way to solve this I've found so far is, to stretch the block twice in opposite directions by half of the value You want to lengthen it.

The block origin seems to not be associative and in relation to the geometry but only at the given "screen" point

regards
Wolfgang

Creator
Creator

That is the way it seems.  so is there a way to change that "screen point" after the fact?

Re: Changing Block Origin

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

I think you're stuck with unblock/reblock.

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP10 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

Hi @bziegler

Yes, there is my method for such situations.

I first draw a small circle which I fix a t its position.

The e.g. rectangle block geometry get appropriate relations to keep its position to my circle

And the circle center is the block origin

See video as example:

This video is currently being processed. Please try again in a few minutes.
(view in My Videos)

regards
Wolfgang

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Well, that's a workaround, not an inherent ability to edit a block, including its basepoint, as you can in AutoCad. If you know upfront that SE has this limitation then yes, use artificial additions to make it more easy to control.

Bruce Shand

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

the ONLY way to get things located in the draft view is by adding a circle, and editing the center point of the circle. I use 0,0 (lower left) for this.

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

I don't believe I've ever run into an ONLY way to do something in CAD.

Bruce Shand

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

Show me another way, please.

With Solid Edge more than any other program, I have found there is only one best way to get many things done. Every direction I turn, I'm boxed into a corner and just do the best I can with that is available. Sheet metal design takes me to the limit of what SE can do.

Just a few things would totally change that (Edits to the way things work for: 3 way corners, flanges, and normal cuts). String math and smart parts numbers is another area that really needs some work.

Some days I wish I had gone with Inventor, but I bet I would just run into different limts.