Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing from SE to Creo

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hi,

Our department head intends to change to Creo from SE in the very near future. The rest of the company uses Creo already so its a strong argument for us to change, however I'm pretty sure it will be a retrograde step causing longer delivery times on designs. Our designs are 80% sheet metal enclosures and cabinets and the rest electrical parts without very large assemblies and we do have a large amount of legacy. Can anyone put forward an argument I could use to stop the change?

Regards

14 REPLIES

Re: Changing from SE to Creo

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Excessive learning curve, sloppy/inconsistant user interface, expensive.  Accuracy settings can cause feature/part failures and unintended results.  Creating drawings was an afterthought.  No 2d cad.  Who ever made that decesion won't have to use it.  PTC introduced the first 3d modeling software in the 1980's.  In my opinion, that's all they ever did.  You couldn't even draft more than 30° until 2014.  Hopefully you'll have people there to help you through.  I had to learn it by myself and I'm sure I don't use it correctly.  It is totally illogical to someone coming from a Parasolid based software...  and it's no fun.  You can do anything with Creo, but it will be the hard way.  Even the viewer stinks.  We paid for a Creo seat just to print drawings.

They should be dumping PTC for Solid Edge like everyone else.

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

This is ultimately my favorite Creo error message...

FAVORITE ERROR.JPG

Good afternoon,

I have never used ProE or Creo but one of our former employees are now working at a company that uses Creo. He is very frustrated, items that are simple to model in Solid Edge are quite tedious to do in Creo. According to him they don't even have a basic function like "Inter-Part Copy", that requires an added module which = $$$.

Regards,

Theodore

Kind regards,
Theodore Turner

Phenom
Phenom

I have zero Creo experience, but we were aquired by Caterpillar several years ago and I have seen others use it regularly. We built very large Highwall Mining machines and I had complete models of our entire machine in Solid Edge. The local Creo users marveled at our models because they could not handle full models of even their smaller equipment. They were never able to have complete machine models like we had. Their modeling techniques were built around what they could readily handle.

So, if you have large assembly models, you are going to be limited based upon what I have seen.

Second, are they using Windchill as PDM for their Creo models? This makes things even slower and more difficult to deal with. Their modeling and drawing techniques were built around what they could get by with because of the speed limitations.

They wanted us to switch to Creo, but ultimately refused to spend the millions of dollars it was going to cost to have all of our models and drawings recreated in Creo. Unfortunately, they closed us down before anything further happened.

We were part of a group that originated as Bucyrus and was bought by Cat. Toward the end, Windchill was being eliminated in favor of TeamCenter. I don't know if Cat corporate had better success with their large models than they did at our location, but it is hard to imagine that they could not model their equipment completely.

Good luck.

Bob Henry
REH Technical Consulting
Canonsburg, PA 15317

Siemens Experimenter Siemens Experimenter
Siemens Experimenter

Hi PKench,

Some really good replies have already been posted on this stating that ease of use and productivity will not be anywhere near the levels that you currently experience with Solid Edge.

I have seen first hand, a similar situation here in the UK where a company has been forced to go down this route and move from Solid Edge to Creo. In this case, after the users were given training on the new platform, they resisted the move and stayed on Solid Edge as their preferred platform of choice.

My advice would be to work with your Solid Edge Reseller. Get them involved and they will be able to prove the value of sticking with the Solid Edge Portfolio.

Good Luck

Inter-Part Copy is the BEST

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

The reason the upper management want Crea over SE is because they desire an enterprise wide solution that will work across multiple locations.

To fight back, you need to figure out how SE works as an enterprise wide solution.

Experimenter
Experimenter

Thanks for the advice everyone, In the meeting yesterday I put forward all the points mentioned including the suggestion of using NX instead of Creo, but it fell on deaf ears. Our global company has approx 500 Creo seats v 2 SolidEdge and 3 SolidWorks. The inertia presented by the 500 is too big for my boss to contemplate any other software.

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Looks like you'll need to change your stance from "yo no creo" to "yo creo".

My philosophy when a CAD flip-flop occurs is: "my favorite CAD software is the one I'm getting paid to use".

Bruce Shand
ST10 MP10 - Insight - Win10 - K4200