Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Changing from SE to Creo

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

@bshand wrote:

My philosophy when a CAD flip-flop occurs is: "my favorite CAD software is the one I'm getting paid to use".

That's been my philosophy as well.  Of course, if I get to choose, it would be Solid Edge or NX.

Phenom
Phenom

I would agree with those sentiments, if and only if, the employer provides some means of training on the software and/or sufficient time to work through the learning curve. There is nothing quite as frustrating and disheartening as trying to meet goals and deadlines on a project while struggling to figure out how to run the software.

In Caterpillar's grand plan for us, since we were such a small group using SE, they were just going to switch us to Creo and let us figure it out on our own without any formal training. When I asked about training I was given a handful of web sites with some videos. Oh, and yeah that machine still needs to ship on such and such date.

My $.02. However, I must disclose that at one time I was a trainer for an SE reseller, so I could be biased. I have never understood how a company can afford to spend thousands of dollars for software, but not budget a small amount to train people how to use it and suffer the decrease in productivity.

Bob Henry
REH Technical Consulting
Canonsburg, PA 15317

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

@rehenryjr  I hear you on the training thing.  Everybody assumes training will happen but the inefficiency of not doing formal training or not doing it right is hard to measure, as is the benefit of doing it and doing it right.  It also doesn't stop at just CAD...

Ken
Production: SE 2019 MP8, Testing: SE 2020
http://Grundey.blogspot.com

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

I also agree on the value of training. However, every CAD system I've used I've learned essentially on my own. That and tutorials, group collaboration, meetings, etc. And now the SE Forum too. No formal training whatsoever. Except later on for advanced and specific training. Of course that comes with necessarily somewhat relaxed schedule demands from management. If you don't have that then frustration is inevitable.

Bruce Shand
SE2019 MP8 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Phenom
Phenom

@KennyG Totally agree. I've done instructional design projects that have looked at entire engineering/designer and manufacturing job roles, build out skill matrices and reorganization of information at companies. There is a reason that colleges have Phd's and Masters programs in instructional design. It's not easy!

I would love to have conversations with anyone on building learning environments for your organizations!

But don't reply here. No need to hijack this thread. Email me instead.