Highlighted

Changing line dimensions to inches

Creator
Creator

I just downloaded the Solid Edge 2d version and can not reset the line dimensioning from MM to Inches.  Can anyone advise me on how to show my drawing in inches.  MichaelC

12 REPLIES

Re: Changing line dimensions to inches

Solution Partner Legend Solution Partner Legend
Solution Partner Legend

short answer: dimension are set per template.  ANSI vs ISO.  be sure you are using the right template.  note there is a "more" tab when choosing a template. 

If your prefered templates are in the more folder you choose the wrong option at set up..  ther are some registry tweek and files to copy if you want the switch...

Matt Johnson
Application Engineer
Ally PLM Solutions
matt.johnson@allyplm.com
http://allyplm.com/

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

When you click on a dimension command, you will have a command bar with a field for the dimension style.  Pick "ANSI Inch".  If you installed SE using the default, it loads the ISO templates and everything defaults to Metric.

Thanks,
Ken

Production: ST9 MP10
Testing: ST10 MP3

Creator
Creator

I did install using the default.  I thought I had switched everything to inches but when I draw a line I look at the bar at the top and it is reading my line as inches.  How do you change the default to inches. Both answer posts seem to have hit on the problem correctly but I'm not the best at this.  Is there a place in the program that I can change to show my drawings in inches?

Creator
Creator

I just rechecked my drawing and here is what I have.  If I select  the dimension box it says ANSI/inches , but when I click on the line icon, the horizontal box that reads out the length of what your doing reads out in MM.  I'm a little confused on how both can exist in the same drawing.

Creator
Creator

I thought about what you all said and I went back and reloaded the software in ANSI and not the default.  It works fine now.  Thanks guys I wouldn't have thought of that.

Solution Partner Legend Solution Partner Legend
Solution Partner Legend

Glad you got it sorted out...

since we are on the topic...  be aware of "dimension style mapping" as well.

Good luck moving forward

Matt Johnson
Application Engineer
Ally PLM Solutions
matt.johnson@allyplm.com
http://allyplm.com/

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

There is actually 2 settings that dictate units of measure... One for the Dimensions which is controlled by their "Style".  The second is for all the dialog boxes where you type something in and this setting is controlled in the File Properties, Units and Advanced Units tabs.

This allows you to work in your "home" units (inches) but place any type of units on a drawing (for instance a customer needs dimensions in mm).

Thanks,
Ken

Production: ST9 MP10
Testing: ST10 MP3

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

For future reference to avoid reinstalling Solid Edge to reset the default standards template:

1. Modify the registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Unigraphics Solutions\Solid Edge\Version 105\TemplateStandard to the correct standards i.e ISO, ANSI, JIS, etc.

2. Copy the templates for the desired standard from C:\Program Files\Solid Edge ST5\Template\More into C:\Program Files\Solid Edge ST5\Template

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

For those that can use it (myself included), I created a PowerShell script to allow you to easily change your Solid Edge modeling standard and default template files.

Unfortunately I cannot upload the script as an attachment so you can download the script from here instead.

If you encounter a PowerShell error about execution of scripts read the comments header in the file on how to resolve.

Edit - P.S. I should add that this is not a Siemens PLM provided utility and is totally unsupported.  YMMV!