Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing template of a part ?

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

I have downloaded a part from 8020 in the native .par format. However this part does not use our standard template for the information in the Data Management. 

What is the best way to get the same part into a .par that has our template so the fields in Custom for File Properties will be the same?

20 REPLIES 20

Re: Changing template of a part ?

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

One way: You could save it out as a parasolid file then when you open that choose your standard template at the prompt.

Bruce Shand
SE2019 MP8 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

That will work but then you lose everything else about the part in the feature tree. 

True. I almost always use synchronous on imported parts so I don't care much about the feature tree.

That, of course, depends on the complexity of the part and your comfort with sync.

Maybe there are more straightforward ways someone will come up with but the old property remapper tool found here can be very helpful. It will require a little study to understand but it's not all that bad. It won't work with Insight managed and presumably Teamcenter managed parts.

http://barhamsoftware.com/SE_Tools/index.htm

Bruce Shand
Highlighted

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

I ended up just editing the customs on the part file as is. I deleted them and then added the ones we use on our template. Now my BOM list on the .DFT is populating correctly. Luckily our custom list is not that long, but I did not find an easier way so far. 

@jevs There is no way to change a source template.  You will have to create the properties in the file.

The easiest way to do this if you have a bunch of custom properties to create, is to use Property Manager.

1. Open both your part without props and another part with the props.
  2. Make sure the property columns you need are shown in the table and grouped together
  3. Select all the data cells from the source part and select Copy
  4. Select the same cells in the target part and Paste.

Ken
Production: SE 2019 MP8, Testing: SE 2020
http://Grundey.blogspot.com

Hi @jevs 

if properties are a certain kind of standard, I would define or I'm defining them in the proposed.txt file from within the preferences.

This gives me the possibility to create and change all necessary properties according to our standards, and also offers me the list of possible list values (drop down lists)

These can be used in every file, independent where it is coming from.

Self made files or foreign files.

regards
Wolfgang

OK. "proposed.tct" =  "propseed.txt". In English anyway.

How does it affect imported files?

Bruce Shand

@KennyG wrote:

@jevs There is no way to change a source template.  You will have to create the properties in the file.

The easiest way to do this if you have a bunch of custom properties to create, is to use Property Manager.

1. Open both your part without props and another part with the props.
  2. Make sure the property columns you need are shown in the table and grouped together
  3. Select all the data cells from the source part and select Copy
  4. Select the same cells in the target part and Paste.

That's probably the easiest way after all. Independently open them with PropMan or run PM within an assembly containing the "alien" parts.

Bruce Shand

Hi @bshand 

TXT of course. Typing error late in the night.

The proposed offers all defined custom properties together with list values everywhere where props must be defined, created or modified.

This of course also can be used together with the Property Manager but also  in the property dialog.

For a bulk modification of props the Property Manager definitively will be the best way.

regards
Wolfgang