Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Changing template of a part ?

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

@KennyG wrote:

@jevs There is no way to change a source template.  You will have to create the properties in the file.

The easiest way to do this if you have a bunch of custom properties to create, is to use Property Manager.

1. Open both your part without props and another part with the props.
  2. Make sure the property columns you need are shown in the table and grouped together
  3. Select all the data cells from the source part and select Copy
  4. Select the same cells in the target part and Paste.

The File Properties, Custom tab stuff does not show up in the property manager. 

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

@hawcad wrote:

Hi @jevs 

if properties are a certain kind of standard, I would define or I'm defining them in the proposed.txt file from within the preferences.

This gives me the possibility to create and change all necessary properties according to our standards, and also offers me the list of possible list values (drop down lists)

These can be used in every file, independent where it is coming from.

Self made files or foreign files.

I did just edit the propseed.txt file to add in all the Custom options we use. Even though they will not be prepopulated on an "alien" file, now I can add them much faster by selecting and adding rather than typing them all manually.

I also added a list for some of them so I can just select rather than typing those in the future also. 

Thanks.

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Hi @jevs 

oh Yes they are!

Click RMB onto the column header and select "All Properties" or Custom properties to be added to the list

20190522_1438.png

regards
Wolfgang

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

@bshand wrote:

OK. "proposed.tct" =  "propseed.txt". In English anyway.

How does it affect imported files?

It does not, but it gives you a pick list of options in the Custom tab of the Properties Manager to make it faster to add them. You can select them and add them rather than typing them all in manually. 

So, this is just kind of a quicker work around to get the options in File Properties under the Custom tab into the "alien" part that you would normally already have in your .par template. 

@jevs But what we're saying is if you bulk PM edit "standard" files along with "alien" files the properties for the standard files will be available and then you can enter data in them for the alien part and they will be added. Same thing if you PM in an assembly.

Although it doesn't seem necessary to have a standard part in the PM list. PM seems to remember the property columns previously used. I just tried it on a step file with an OOTB template which doesn't have our custom properties, opened PM and our custom property columns are there.

Bruce Shand
SE2019 MP8 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

@hawcad wrote:

Hi @jevs 

oh Yes they are!

Click RMB onto the column header and select "All Properties" or Custom properties to be added to the list

20190522_1438.png

Ahh, yes, now I found it. Thanks!

So I learned a couple new things here. One is to mod the propseed file to have the things I want available for selection in the File Properties, Custom tab and even give drop down options to save on typing. The second is to also be able to copy and paste them and access them in the Property Manager as well.

@jevs Not sure about the need for the propseed file. We don't use it and I get the desired results in PM.

Bruce Shand

Hi @bshand 

propseed.txt is not a need for creating those props, but IMHO it makes it easier.

Maybe not when in the Property Manager but wheen modifying them in a single document.

Going to the props, custom proeprties and You will get a list of typical properties, independed wether the are there (are existing) or not.

And for every property You also can get a listof typical values.

This is, what IMHO fasten up the process.

No need for typing the property name (and also providing a misstyping) and a given list of values.

My answer and suggestion was not seen as "the" solution for the original request, but at least it will be a little easement

regards
Wolfgang

@hawcad Agreed but we seem to get by with having the custom props in our templates. I'll keep propseed in mind though.

Bruce Shand

@jevs You really should have marked @hawcad's answer as the solution not your reply to his answer.

You can correct it.

Bruce Shand