Solved! Go to solution

Child of deleted parent assembly

I have a sub-assembly that is a child of an upper level assembly. The sub-assembly has many interpart copies which are important to preserve. I need to edit the sub-assembly but the parent (an upper level assembly) was deleted. Is there a way to get the child have a step-parent?

I know I can break the links to the interpart copies but I don't want to do that.

I tried redefining the links using Revision Manager but that did not work. We are on ST8.

Anyone have a work around for this?

Regards

Peter

5 REPLIES

Re: Child of deleted parent assembly

I'm not sure I'm following...  All the parents of the Interpart Copies still exist but you deleted the upper level assembly where the Interpart links were established, and also guessing this was constructed pre-ST7or 8?

Ken Grundey
Production: ST9 MP4
Testing: ST10

You have it correct. It was originally done in ST6, maybe ST5. Top level assembly does not exist anymore. I can copy the current top level assembly to the old name, and then make the new edits without getting the the "out of context" note. Maybe once I have that "old" assembly I can redefine the parent to the new assembly?

Not sure how to fix that.  To bad SE can't do it automatically because everything is still there except for the "in-context" container which has now been changed to the first common assembly from the top level assembly...

Ken Grundey
Production: ST9 MP4
Testing: ST10

yes, thats what I thought....I was just hoping someone had a workaround for it....One more thing to put on the wish list!

Solution
Solution
Accepted by topic author Greybarn
‎08-19-2016 10:44 AM

The best method to fix is return the deleted assembly. Trasfer parts to other assemblies. Then delete the assembly that was gone to begin with.