Click and Drag in Assemblies?

Experimenter
Experimenter

How do you enable click and drag in SolidEdge assemblies? Currently when I place a part in an assembly (after the first part is placed) I can only move it by mating the part or by using the steering wheel. I use SolidEdge ST7

9 REPLIES

Re: Click and Drag in Assemblies?

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

The Drag Component command will let you dynamically drag parts around to position them.

Greg

Experimenter
Experimenter

Thanks for the advice but I was looking for a different method. I have seen SolidEdge set up so that all you need to do is select an edge or face of an unmated part to move it freely.

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

That's what Drag Component does...

Thanks,
Ken

Production: ST9 MP10
Testing: ST10 MP1

Siemens Phenom

Is this during the placement process / the Assemble command? If so, using the FlashFit option will let you click and drag the face to move the part like Drag Component does.

Greg

Experimenter
Experimenter
That's it. Thanks!

Phenom
Phenom

@GregLuckettHOLY CRAP!! I was totally unaware you could do that when mating parts! You're awesome! Thanks to the guy who posted this question as well. I can't believe I didn't know this.

ST9
Windows 7 Professional
Nvidia K2200 & Intel Xeon
"You're doing it wrong"

Siemens Phenom

Glad I could help @nominus38! One other little tidbit on this one - if you hold the 'Ctrl' key down while dragging in FlashFit, it will rotate the part instead of translating it.

Greg

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Is there a way to turn reference planes on/off using flash fit?

Siemens Phenom

Yes and no - you can turn them on but not off. Once you have selected the face on the part being positioned, you are in the process of locating the next face. While in this step, hold down the 'R' key and that will put you into a mode of selecting a part whose reference planes will be displayed (the whole part will highlight instead of just a face). When you select the part with the 'R' key down, its reference planes will then be displayed. The planes will then be turned back off when leaving the command - the same as changing their display state using the 'Construction Display' dialog.