Close 2 corner bend not exactly right

Phenom
Phenom

I'm using the close 2 corner sheet metal command hoping to end up with a true squre cut but the result is not complete. I end up with a mixture of a square and V cut.

This is very similar to another problem where I want the exact same result using the +bend command rather than the close 2 corner bend. In the second case, I want to turn off the corner tratments and have the program bent the exact flat pattern drawn including a bit of steel inside the focal point of the two bends.

I don't care how I need to make the part, just as long as the resultant details (corner notch) stay updated when my over-all part dimensions change size.

This does not shoot me in the foot this week, but will next year when I plan to start exporting all of my flat patterns directly to nesting software and our punch machine.

(view in My Videos)

10 REPLIES

Re: Close 2 corner bend not exactly right

Solution Partner Phenom Solution Partner Phenom
Solution Partner Phenom

12GAGE,

Your issue is caused by the Gap value of .1 . From the help we see that:-

Gap

Specifies a gap between both faces when you use the Close option to close selected corners or the Overlap option to overlap selected corners. The gap distance cannot be negative and cannot be larger than the material thickness.

Note that the Width vale has no effect in this Closed Corner case.

This video may assist:-

(view in My Videos)

Cheers

Mark

Phenom
Phenom

That was it. It's the offset that is controlling the gap, and in a very non-intuative way. It's faster to guess, check flat, guess, check flat about 20 times until you iterate the right answer vs. doing the math to figure out what you want to put in.

In one specific case, the math is easy, but it's never my case.

IF, you bend line are really the bend line (not inside or outside of sheet), then I can use pathagerus to get what I want. Say I want a corner notch of dimension X. The offset number is Y, where y^2=x^2+X^2

If I ever figure out how to submit an ER, I will.

There should be a way to input X instead of Y, no matter what kind of bend is close.

Phenom
Phenom

To submit an IR, which would then be converted to an ER by GTAC, go to the below link and fill everything out:

https://webtac.industrysoftware.automation.siemens.com/qtac/index.php5?lang=en

I would suggest submitting pictures, video, and actual files to support your request, as the issues I see you struggling with in sheetmetal are not typical wants, and are hard to explain.

-Dylan Gondyke

Phenom
Phenom

Thank you for posting the link.....however.....

The link is not valid, at least when I tried.

Every time I try to do the right thing like post helpful vids, follow a link, or post a long reply, something messes up.

The internet at my office is not the best, but I don't know how much of a problem that is vs. real techinical issues at the websight.

To date, about 5 hours of my posting work has been lost.

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

The link works for me....although, It won't let me in, as it's splashed with red saying,....go directly to jail, do not pass go, do not collect $200.... [or something like thatRobot LOL

Basically...you should contact your reseller [VAR] to liaise next tier of support.

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Limited
Solid Edge ST10 [MP0] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10

Phenom
Phenom

If I can ever figure out how to submit one, I have 50 of them.

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

12GAGE wrote:

If I can ever figure out how to submit one, I have 50 of them.

If I had 50, that I could decribe in writing. then I would make the VAR for a session of come and earn your maintenance $$$ at your site.

Just my NZ$0.02

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Limited
Solid Edge ST10 [MP0] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10

Phenom
Phenom
I expect some to be solved in ST7, and a few are eliminated each week I
learn more about the software.

The big ones are:

Adding back gage and stick out to bend tables.

Allowing the flat to remain unchanged during bending, even when bend are
inside the corner.

Some version of the include command for sync that establishes links during
creation like ordered.

Allowing revision and part families to work on top of the "parametric box"
method.

A way to store and recall text box's like annotation (or add the ability to
underline annotation)

The list goes on...and on...

Solution Partner Phenom Solution Partner Phenom
Solution Partner Phenom

I can answer "Some version of the include command for sync that establishes links during
creation like ordered."-  Which I take to mean Associativity between Synchronous parts.

Because sketches play no part in the driving of Synchronous parts Solid Edge Assembly provides an Inter-Part Relationship command that "establishes links". However with Synchronous assemblies having linked parts is not always required or for that matter desirable.

This video should make all this clear. Note this video has sound

(view in My Videos)

Cheers

Mark