Solved! Go to solution

Close Multiple Files

[ Edited ]

Hello Edgers,

When several files are open in Solid Edge, switching to each for closing can be time consuming, especially with large files. Closing a file directly without having to 'switch' to it and wait for the graphics to update can be a time saver.

I have seen this for myself, though on poor hardware, and thought of writing a small utility to selectively close checked ones from a list of all open files in Solid Edge.

The Refresh button can be used when files have been opened or closed in Solid Edge manually while the program is still running.

Please give this program a try and comment when you find any bugs or need enhancements.

Any un-saved files will display the ?Save prompt.

The download link for the program and its source code is at the end of this tutorial that also describes how the utility was made so you can understand what goes under the hood and possibly create your own version of the program using the code.

This is part of the Solid Edge Maker Faire

Download the program here

BR,

Tushar Suradkar

www.SurfAndCode.in

26 REPLIES

Re: Close Multiple Files

ok maybe i'm missing something, it is early. Is this a program for a regular person like me to download? or do you need to be a programer person? I couldn't find the downloaded file

[ Edited ]

you need the read the entire article.

on the last page is the option to download...  http://screencast.com/t/lAlpo3wsYldm

if you don't care about the code and only want the program then download the executable http://screencast.com/t/N6PXKBkz

got it

Solution
Solution
Accepted by topic author Tushar
‎08-26-2015 04:32 AM

Another very neat tool! Thanks Tushar! Smiley Happy

-Dylan Gondyke

[ Edited ]

That's so nice of you @MattJohnsonPAC for the guidance and images.

Thinking of putting the download link right into the post from next time, but can't really let go off the painstakingly written tutorial.

You are welcome Dylan @Chally72. I know you are into SE programming as well. How much part of your work involves coding ?

Unfortunately, very little. I am only making tools for myself, and I'm not very proficient at .NET at all. Most of it is file/revision management tools made necessary by a really clunky workflow between Solid Edge and my ancient Italian laser programming/nesting software. That's why I get so excited about your little tools like this- these are the kinds of things I'd use every day!

-Dylan Gondyke

Tushar

I downloaded your PurgeVariables.exe file. This seam not to be working. it crashes. could you tell how this should work?

[ Edited ]

TDB,

Not sure why this is happening.

Deployment of source code remains Achilles heel.

I'd suggest you build the exe from the source code, it is VS 2010, .Net 4.0

Perhaps @jnewell could help or you can try posting on the Dev forum.

Is there any message displayed before crashing ?

sorry not a programer. saw this on your page, if it does what it say's. i'll use it