Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Clue as to why F1 for the Siemens help server doesn't work.

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Since moving to 2019 I've noticed that hitting F1 from within SE often, but not alwasy, gives me "Web-served Help Failure". Other workstations don't seem to have that problem when I experience it on mine.

There is only the default setting in options helper tab but I'm considering setting up help on my machine.

Any clues as to possible causes?

Bruce Shand
SE2019 MP8 - Insight - Win10 - K4200
10 REPLIES 10

Re: Clue as to why F1 for the Siemens help server doesn't work.

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Is this while running that custom theme that you brought across from ST10? 

@uk_dave , Well I just tried switching to a couple of the other four default themes and same same. However, another user uses that same theme and his help works as expected.

Bruce Shand

Siemens Valued Contributor Siemens Valued Contributor
Siemens Valued Contributor

Bruce, there could be many possible problems that would lead to this error, and I'm not going to guess which one might be the core problem. I expect that the call from Solid Edge to the server is timing out - so look for anything that would cause your system to have high network traffic.   To deal with the problem, first I suggest you bookmark the help site so you can always get to it and use Search if F1 fails too often: http://docs.plm.automation.siemens.com/tdoc/se/2019/se_help/#uid:index

Second, if you get F1 to succeed, I suggest you do not close that browser pane.  Solid Edge maintains a connection to that window, so once you have it, I believe the chances of success in subsequent interactions would go up.

Setting up the local help option should not be too difficult, beyond downloading the content.  You can let it run on your workstation, and I have not heard any reports that this puts any noticeable load on your system.

Kevin Riggs

@Riggs Thanks for the link. Bookmarked.

Thought I'd mention that twice that error dialog got "stuck". Close, the X in the corner, F4....I couldn't close it without killing SE.

Bruce Shand

Betreff: Clue as to why F1 for the Siemens help server doesn't work.

Hi @bshand 

sorry I do not have any good idea why this problems occurs, but I want to say that the possibility of installing Your own local help server is one of my personal highlights of the last released versions.

I have installed them even on my notebooks to guarantee to get the help even if not online.

And since SE2019 it seems to work stable and good (not always the case with ST10)

regards
Wolfgang

Betreff: Clue as to why F1 for the Siemens help server doesn't work.

Thanks @hawcad. I downloaded it but haven't installed it yet.

Bruce Shand

Siemens Valued Contributor Siemens Valued Contributor
Siemens Valued Contributor

Bruce, when you see the error, is it in a separate dialog box, or is it in the browser window?  A dialog box would suggest a problem on the SE side and a message in the browser would suggest a problem on the help server side.  With this, I could start to narrow down underlying causes.

It's an SE error. At least it's not in the browser. I had to kill the SE process to get out. Twice only that happened.

Chances are I can repeat it next week and post a screen shot.

Bruce Shand

Here's the error message I get:

HelpFailure.JPG

Bruce Shand