Coincident Plane By Axis

I am having problems creating a coincident plane by axis.  I click on the plane of reference and it simply drops in the plane just like the coincident plane method.  How do you get SE to let you click on the axis for orientation in the plane?  Running ST7 MP2.

6 REPLIES

Re: Coincident Plane By Axis

This only works when selecting a face of geometry.  If you pick another reference plane it just uses the same orientation.

Ken Grundey
Production: ST9 MP4
Testing: ST10

It seems a bit redundant, but okay. Only problem is, I will have to explain that to the guy who was expecting to use this function like I described. He is a Solid Works guy and Solid Works always does everything better according to him, and he just goes off if he can't get Solid Edge to behave exactly like he wants to use things. Me, I just go with the flow and realize that each package has strengths and weaknesses.

Just tell him that if in fact SolidWorks did do things better, he would be using it right now, but since it didn't...

Ken Grundey
Production: ST9 MP4
Testing: ST10

This guy recently came into our division from another division that was kind of allowed to do their own thing, and he was one of the only mechanical engineers in that group.  He picked Solid Works while over there.  The rest of our company uses Solid Edge, so in his mind we are the ones that are messed up.

This is not a "slam" or "dig" at anybody who likes or prefers SolidWorks but in my experience, this is a "typical" reaction of a SW user prior to being trained or given ample time in SolidEdge.  Usually after proper training and enough seat time, they will see the light.

Kevin Grayson
Solid Edge Technical Consultant
kevin.grayson@siemens.com

Yeah, as a long-time 'Works user myself, it's hard to let old habits die. Edge does a lot of things better than Works. You just have to commit yourself to using the new workflow, and life will get better very quickly.

Works has a lot of useless junk that people sometimes pretend give it some sort of advantage, but they just make everything more cumbersome. Edge is much better focused on mechanical design, assemblies, and drawings.