Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Compatibility of ST8 with ST6

Experimenter
Experimenter

I have not been able to successfully open the formula 24 kit car, which has been created in ST8, in the 32 bit version of ST6. Is this down to user error or is this purely down to software incompatibility?

The objective of this is to be able to use standard parts of the kit car (batteries, motor, etc.) as well as other parts which require small adjustments in an existing chassis assembly. The chassis has already been created using the ST6 frame generator.

5 REPLIES

Re: Compatibility of ST8 with ST6

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Solid Edge versions are not backwards compatible.  Therefore a file created in ST8 cannot be opened in ST6. 

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

And to further clarify, older version files (ST6) can be transparently opened in newer versions of Solid Edge (ST8), but once saved with ST8 they are now an ST8 file and can no longer be opened in ST6.

Ken

Production: ST10 MP5
Testing: SE 2019

Experimenter
Experimenter

is there a way of saving them as an older file in st8 so they can be opened on an st6 32 bit machine?

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Gadget wrote:

is there a way of saving them as an older file in st8 so they can be opened on an st6 32 bit machine?

Yes, well sort of, just not in a native Solid Edge format....you'd need to export to a neutral format like Parasolid, or STEP, etc.

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Ltd
Solid Edge ST10 [MP6] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10 - Quadro P2000

Experimenter
Experimenter

Would you be able to do the conversion for me please? or can it be converted online?

I cant open the original file to do anything with it.

thanks