Complex Curve Generation

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

I have never been very good at curve generation in 3d space, and I now need to do something that is beyone my ability.  Does anyone know how to create a loop in 3d space that connects end points of lines that lie in different planes while maintaining tangency.  The best way that I can describe it is a roller coaster loop that terminates at different heights in z.  I need to sweep a profile along such a section, but I need to figure out how to sketch this out.  Any examples would be greatly appreciated.

Mike D.

8 REPLIES

Re: Complex Curve Generation

Solution Partner Legend Solution Partner Legend
Solution Partner Legend

Here's one possible approach... sure there are many...

When I need to create complex shapes I like to break them down into their 2D elements...

video here: http://screencast.com/t/B9MfV6OrN

Matt Johnson
Application Engineer
Ally PLM Solutions
matt.johnson@allyplm.com
http://allyplm.com/

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Matt,

That is pretty cool and is about 90% of what I need, but I need the two ends to fall on different planes in the dimension that is perpendicular to the axis of the loop.

Solution Partner Legend

Sure,

then instead of using a cylinder to project onto, use the 2D cross section that you require.

You may not get your final shape in a single step using this method but by combining a combination of projected curves you should have all the elements needed and then create a single derived curve.

And remember this was just one method...  the othat that may work well for you is to define a few known keypoints and use keypoint curve or even curve by table...

Matt Johnson
Application Engineer
Ally PLM Solutions
matt.johnson@allyplm.com

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Mike,

Is "Cross Curve" not any help to you here?.....

SE_SurfacingTab_CrossCurves.png

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Limited
Solid Edge ST10 [MP1] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10

Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

As Matt and Sean say, lots of ways to do this, but you need to define what THIS is. What does the curve look like from the different views. Is it a helix? Or not really circular? Something else? You have to define the result desired in order to define a method of creation.

If it is really just a freeform curve, the Keypoint Curve is indeed your best bet. I can give you some coaching on how to use it best if that seems like a good pathway.

Dan Staples
Director, Solid Edge Product Development

Solution Partner Legend

Sean,

I agree with Cross Curve and use that persoanally...  I prefer to "show" others the project method as there are constructions to reference and one can "see" what they are doing..  Essentially project and cross curve are the same... except cross curve is sketch based and as such takes more user ability to mentally visualize.

Matt Johnson
Application Engineer
Ally PLM Solutions
matt.johnson@allyplm.com

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Matt,

Agreed.

With Cross Curve, I like to place the sketches, get the result, then use dynamic edit to drag one of the sketch elements and watch the result happen live. Even better if you have a swept profile on the resultant and it is transforming.

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Limited
Solid Edge ST10 [MP1] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10

Solution Partner Phenom Solution Partner Phenom
Solution Partner Phenom

3d curve.JPGMike,

Is this what you are looking for?

This was created using a sweep along a "Cross Curve"

3d curve.JPG

Cheers