Constraint Error - On First Constraint

pic1.jpgpic2.jpgpic3.jpgI'm having an abnormal error while creating an assembly.

The assembly is large, but not very large (less than 100 parts).

I'm attempting to perform an axial align (bringing in one assembly and aligning the hinge holes to the hinge holes of another base assembly).

The first occurance allows the axial align command and mate command, but will not honor an angular alignment command.  It takes the command but does not change the relationship reguardless of the angle I enter. A floating planar align was used as a band-aide.

Then I attempt to insert the exact same assembly onto the other side of the base feature (base is symetric) and I get the following error when I try to apply the very first constraint: "The requested relationship conflicts with others and cannot be placed" (i.e. there are no previous constraints on this assembly):  It does not matter the order in which I attempt to apply the constraints (mate, axial align, flaoting planar align - used as band-aide for non-working angular align).

I have rebooted the software and the computer without any change.

Have I mistakenly tuned on a setting?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Patrick

8 REPLIES

Re: Constraint Error - On First Constraint

Only suggestion I have is to go to your Tools tab and in the Assistants section, click the Errors command if active and fix whatever is at fault.  If it is not active, then I have no idea.

Thanks,
Ken

Production: ST9 MP7
Testing: ST10

Sounds like you have the gotchas covered so it's a mystery. Maybe a video of your workflow?

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP8 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Thanks Grundey,

I checked errors, but the only item listed as an error telling me that the part that I am inserting is under-constrained.

Patrick Duncan
Senior Design Engineer

M 704-847-9191 | D 704-841-6022 | F 704-841-6020 | E Patrick.duncan@conbraco.com

[cid:image001.png@01D24FDF.B4D0A680]

WE ARE APOLLO FLOW CONTROLS - Apollo Valves, Elkhart Products Corporation, Lasco Fittings, Inc. and Shurjoint. An Aalberts Industries Company.
[cid:image003.png@01D24FE0.38E75900]

b shand,

Thanks for the quick response.
Tried to attach a video, but it is too large for my server to handle. I will try to compress the file and send again later.
This time when trying it allowed me to perform the axial align and mate in both cases, but the angular align still does not function.
Odd that it changed when I was recording. Literally tried this a dozen times today.

Thanks,

Patrick

Patrick Duncan
Senior Design Engineer

M 704-847-9191 | D 704-841-6022 | F 704-841-6020 | E Patrick.duncan@conbraco.com

WE ARE APOLLO FLOW CONTROLS - Apollo Valves, Elkhart Products Corporation, Lasco Fittings, Inc. and Shurjoint. An Aalberts Industries Company.

As for the angular align not working it sounds like it's possible the hinge pin axis is not square with the plane you are referencing.

Bruce Shand

I thought this too and made sure that this was not the case.

After rebooting the entire computer again, it allowed me to apply the angular alignment at 90 degrees.
The part clicked perfectly to 90 degrees. However, when I went to change the value to 0 degrees, nothing moved.
Did not get an error, just nothing happened.

I even tried inserting another very simple part (not an assembly) with no luck.
I was able to delete the .cfg files and it would sometimes let me go one constraint further, but then same issues would occur.

I think I have either a computer or software bug or maybe a corrupt file????

Thanks for the response on this issue.

Patrick

Patrick Duncan
Senior Design Engineer

I don't see how the cfg file affects this.

Bruce Shand

I don't either.
Noting is acting consistently the same.
That is why I think I have a corrupt file.

Patrick Duncan
Senior Design Engineer