Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Contingent rounding of values

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

Not as a single. Only by row or column on a per part basis.

Legend
Legend

Like rules, standards are meant to broken (or changed).

I am fairly sure you could get shot for saying that in this company. SOP are set in stone and once created can never be questioned or changed by anyone outside of corporate.

This is actually an ISO thing about metric units being multiples of 10 etc. Our european counterparts use it much the same sub 1kg items are in grams, everything over is 1kg, 10kg 100kg 1000kg etc. round off levels.

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

Metric is nice and easy like that. Simply control decimal places. If you really want things on 0.5 or half integer increments, then setting up variables will be the way to go.

When you let them know how much its going to cost vs just using a selected decimal place, they may change there mind. Path of least resistance is typically the least cost. Management likes less cost.

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

@nanan00 wrote:

Like rules, standards are meant to broken (or changed).

I am fairly sure you could get shot for saying that in this company. SOP are set in stone and once created can never be questioned or changed by anyone outside of corporate.

This is actually an ISO thing about metric units being multiples of 10 etc. Our european counterparts use it much the same sub 1kg items are in grams, everything over is 1kg, 10kg 100kg 1000kg etc. round off levels.

I just meant that sometimes standards might change because of the tools in use. I remember when changing from the board to the tube "back in the day", the place where I worked wrote manual notes in the bottom left corner of the page starting with note 1 at the bottom followed by 2 above 1, etc. And kept that rule for a while in CAD as well. Until reason prevailed. What a PITA that was using the text editor.

But since this is an ISO standard, good luck. So with under 1kg instances it seems the software would have to be able to dynamically change units display as well as rounding rules.

Seems like SE might well take a look at this.

Bruce Shand
SE2019 MP5 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Phenom
Phenom

We use this in our parts list mass coulumn.

%{Mass (Quantity)/@1/NU|G}

Rounds off to 1dp and removes units from the display.

Anything under 0.1kg shows as 0, but for our purposes this is enough.

HP Z420 16GB RAM
Quadro K4000
SE2019 MP5 on Windows 10 Pro 64.

Phenom
Phenom

Just thinking out loud here and maybe others could fill in the blanks.

1. Build logic using if/then statements that evaluate your actual weight or summed up weight

2. Assign a unique variable for estimated weight that is based on the output of the logic

3. Add new column to parts list that pulls estimated weight

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

That was one of my early battles. Getting the weight to display for each view label, item in the parts list, and a total weight.

This is a requirement for any fabrication operation.

I elected for 0.1 lbs resolution. I do have many parts w/ 0 weight, but don't care.

The issues are when things get heavier than 50# and more than 200# and past a Ton. It's all about what is needed to move the object. (In the shop or shipping)

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

@RyanM, I was thinking that but I thought what was wanted was individual part weights, not just a total. If the latter, ez pz.

Bruce Shand
SE2019 MP5 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Legend
Legend

Individual part and assemblies are both desired to be captured with this system but at a drawing level only if possible.

The answer has been given, what I want is not possible with the current versions of SolidEdge and it has been hinted that this should be possible with ST9. Why we have not been able to do formula in the partslist and tables before I don't know.

Legend
Legend

@12GAGE wrote:

Metric is nice and easy like that. Simply control decimal places. If you really want things on 0.5 or half integer increments, then setting up variables will be the way to go.

When you let them know how much its going to cost vs just using a selected decimal place, they may change there mind. Path of least resistance is typically the least cost. Management likes less cost.

A paraphrase of a previous manager, "you are salary, you have all the time in the world to complete the objectives of the project in the time given you".

Most big companies just want it done the way they want it, if you can't do it your replacement will.