Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Continued issues with coordinate dimension auto jog

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

So my woes with auto jogging in coordinate dimensions continue.  I'm in the process of recreating a lot of Cadkey 99 drawings to Solid Edge.  I'm limited to B size paper and the drawings have a lot of coordinate dimensions.  Today, I added dimensions at x=40.848 and x=41.348 and Solid Edge made a mess of out every dimension.  Here are some major questions:

1.  Why does SE decide to jog dimensions from either side of the new dimension - seemingly at random?

2.  Why does SE decide to jog dimensions that don't need to be jogged?

3.  Why is the spacing so large between dimensions?

4.  Why does my nearly 20 year old Cadkey 99 still do this function better - way, way better?  You place dimensions on the drawing, they're on top of each other, but then you just hit one button and they auto jog.  Add a dimension, hit the button and everything falls into place.  It's that simple.  With Solid Edge, it's uncontrolled.

Also, I use dimension mapping so my coordinate dimension style has the text oriented differently.  That should mean that text properties are different for my ANSI dimension style than they are for my coordinate dimension style.  However, if I go into the ANSI style and change the text height to .11, it wrecks my coordinate dimension text orientation.  Changing text size in one style should not affect another style.

Attached are some pictures to try to drive this point home.  I sound like a broken record after all these years, but this really needs to be fixed.

Kyle

Kyle Joiner
IPA LLC
ST10 MP1
7 REPLIES

Re: Continued issues with coordinate dimension auto jog

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

@kjoiner  In regard to Styles, your Coordinate style was probably "Based on" your ANSI style.  When one style has another style specified in the "Based on:" field, the "Based on" style associatively drives the new style's properties anywhere it they were not overridden.  This means that if you created your new Coordinate Dimension style and the ANSI Dimension style was selected, then it automatically set that as your "Based on" style.  If you did not override your text size in your Coordinate Dimension style, then changing it in the ANSI style changes the Coordinate style as well.

Ken

Production: ST10 MP7
Testing: SE 2019
http://Grundey.blogspot.com

Gears Phenom
I had a hunch that was the case. I'll need to create an independent style for coordinate dimensions. Now if the auto jog dimensions can be improved to make them behave properly life would be much better.
Kyle Joiner
IPA LLC
ST10 MP1

Gears Phenom

Here is another example.  There are only a few dimensions on the view, but look how Solid Edge jogs them way too much.  There has to be some setting that reduces this amount.  If the spacing were done correctly, some of these dimensions would not even require jogging.

Kyle

Kyle Joiner
IPA LLC
ST10 MP1

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Hi @kjoiner

it is not so as I had a "solution" for Your problem.

i investigated all parameters of dimensin to find out which one will take care for the offsets, but so far I was not lucky.

But, even if I have not found a proper setting to get it right, I have found a method to get it in 2 steps.

When placing the "Automatic Coordinate Dimensions" I set back the "Text Scale" value  to e.g. 0.5

This will reduce the jog distance by half.

Immediately afterwards I set back those parameter to 1 again, without changing the text position

See video:

(view in My Videos)

regards
Wolfgang

Gears Phenom

Wolfgang,

I'll give it a try.  The big test will be once I fill up the page with jogged dimensions then need to come back at a later date and squeeze another dimension into the string.  

Kyle

Kyle Joiner
IPA LLC
ST10 MP1

Gears Phenom

IR 9017886

Kyle Joiner
IPA LLC
ST10 MP1

Gears Phenom

Hello,

I've been in touch with GTAC and uploaded several screen shots that show issues with auto jogging.  This morning, I found an new issue that relates to changing the ordinate datum.  Attached are two screen shots:  The first shows an existing string of X axis dimensions where the X axis datum is not on the same hole as the Y axis datum.  Dimensions are manually jogged (auto jog is turned off).  When I use the change datum function and select the 2.035 dimension as the new datum, Solid Edge automatically jogs the dimensions - note that some dimensions don't require any jogging and the same large gap between dimensions causes them to overlap the extension line of another dimension.

Cooridnates before datum change.JPGCoordinate before datum change

Cooridnates after datum change.JPGCoordinate after datum change

Kyle Joiner
IPA LLC
ST10 MP1