Controlling which line moves when dimensioning

I'm sorry if this is very obvious, but for some reason I can't figure out how to choose which line moves when dimensioning.  I drew 2 parallel lines.  When I start dimension using the left line first, the left line moves when I enter a dimension.  When I start dimensiong using the right line first, again the left line moves.

I know the order matters when placing relations (the first part selected moves).  How do I choose which line moves when dimensioning?

12 REPLIES

Re: Controlling which line moves when dimensioning

I honestly am not aware of a way to make the behavior predictable as you show it. I would tie one line to other geometry first and then dimension between the lines. For example, the line connected to the circle could be dimensioned relative to the circle center.

Bob Henry
Manager of Engineering
Caterpillar Global Mining America LLC

I hope Siemens works on consistency between commands.  I don't think it would be that hard to make the dimension work like the relations.  You would pick the moveable entity first and the stationary entity second.  This way the behavior is always predictable.

Do you know if there is a way to submit suggestions for improvement?

[ Edited ]

If you are in the USA you can go to the web site and file an Incident Report (IR) which will then be converted to an Enhancement Request (ER). If you are outside the USA you must go thru your VAR to do this.

I understand your request for consistency and that makes sense, however, even if you control how things move when dimensining, you will not have the geometry fully defined unless you tie it back to something in the model or the reference planes. 

I can see from you sketch that you likely don't have the option turned on to let you know when geometry is fully constrained. If you did, the fully constrained geometry would change color. I think the circle in your sketch is probably fully defined since it has a connect icon in the center and has a diameter dimension. Regardless of how things move when dimensioned, in the the end, everything needs to be fully constrained or you could see strange things happen unexpectedly.

In my group, leaving unconstrained sketches or profiles in a model is a hanging offense.

There is also an option to indicate in the pathfinder when there are unconstrained profiles in a sketch or feature. That said, most of our work is in the ordered environment.

Bob Henry

Manager of Engineering - Highwall Miners
Caterpillar Global Mining LLC
Houston, PA

When I was learning SolidWorks, there was an option to require a fully constrained sketch before being able to leave it.  I had the option on all the time and it really helped to prevent geometry errors.  I didn't know SE had a similar option.

No SE option to require full contraint. It is open to allow you to do what you want. I just consider it good practice to fully constrain all geometry.

Bob Henry

Houston, PA

Hi,

You have an option to show underconstrained sketch elements in different color code.

Have a look onto the expect tab when in sketch mode

regards

Wolfgang

regards
Wolfgang

Is this right?

While in Sketch, go to Inspect Tab. Select Relatinship Colors. That will change the color of fully constrained entities.

Then got to Solid Edge Options - General Tab. About 2/3 of the way down the window you will see Indicate under-constrained profiles in Pathfinder.

Bob Henry

Houston, PA

Hi,

Yes, those are the color setting.

But to enable the check sketch contrained color You have to tunr on the option within sketch environment.

See picture:

Then You should see which elements will not be fully constrained and which are already

regards

Wolfgang

regards
Wolfgang