Converting 3d part outline to sketch

Hi All, 

I have a series of 3d step files that i have been sent. 

I need to machine pockets in a block of foam to fit these components into. 

Is there any way i can take the outline of the 3d part and create a sketch from that? I can then create an offset of a coulpe of mm to create a pocket for the part. 

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Callum 

Callum Fisher
Manufacture & Design Engineer
Bristol, UK
11 REPLIES

Re: Converting 3d part outline to sketch

Hi,

Could you post a picture about your part?

BR,

Imics
http://solidedgest.wordpress.com/

Hi, 

Im affraid i cant as there is a Non disclosure agreement between myself and the client. It is equipment such as drill bits.

Callum

Callum Fisher
Bristol, UK

Hi there @CallumFisher,

You could possibly use inter-part copy.....using an offset copy of the surfaces required, [all hail the long yearned for "shrinkwrap" tool we don't have YET] then work that to a solid to either boolean subtract, or actually make it into the foam pad.

Years ago, I've also used insert part copy, with an % up-scale factor, for packaging form models.

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Limited
Solid Edge ST10 [MP0] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10

Hi Sean,

Thanks for that i will give it a go and let you know how i get on.

cheers

callum
Callum Fisher
Bristol, UK

Hi,

Yes, as @SeanCresswell has already mentioned we have no Shrinkwrap yet, but you can build it manually, unfortunately this is not a timesaver method.

Here is a video about steps:

BR,

Imics
http://solidedgest.wordpress.com/

[ Edited ]

According to the question it seems that perhaps simply creating a live section, then a project to sketch with an offset would do what he wants. It's not clear that he needs to simulate a mold function.

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP8 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Hi Callum,

"outline of the 3d part" reminded me of the Parting Surface and the help looks promising too.

But I could not work out anything closer to what is shown in the image:

~Tushar

Hi All,

Thanks for all your replies. It seems that most of these techniquies will work but are quite long winded. I have found that the easiest way is to create a drawing of the part at 1:1 scale and then cut the outside sketch lines from the sketch.

From there i can paste the outline and offset sketch by a couple off mm to allow for the clearance fit in the foam. I can copy this sketch onto my foam block and use the cut command to cut my pockets.

Many thanks for all your replies.

Callum
Callum Fisher
Bristol, UK

@CallumFisher, Could you put up a jpeg of what you were after? I'm curious because it isn't clear to me.

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP8 - Insight - Win10 - K4200