Converting SW 2017 files

Phenom
Phenom

When I try to convert/import Solid Works 2017 files, I get the attached error. Is there a solution?

10 REPLIES

Re: Converting SW 2017 files

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

It is probably because it is newer than ST9 and uses a newer Parasolid version.  It's possible it may be addressed by maintenance patch.  GTAC can say for sure...

Thanks,
Ken

Production: ST9 MP10
Testing: ST10 MP1

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

But the error says "created prior to SW2000" meaning a too old SW version, not too new. Unless the error is itself erroneous.

Oh yeah, is it possible SW uses a newer Parasolid than SE since Siemens owns Parasolid?

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP10 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Phenom
Phenom

The person sending me the files state the file is SW 2017. So yes the error message is not right either.

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

It is considered to be compatible with the solid edge St10 version.
Currently, there is no way for ST9 until now.
Do you use Datakit Crossmanager 2017?
From there you can change it to a para solid file.

Genius
Genius

Can you open with free SW viewer and save as something else?

Phenom
Phenom

Never heard of Datakit, what is it?

I do have the free DSS Draft sight. But I dont think that can be used to covert files.

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

I had never heard of Datakit either so I did a search and it's a not inexpensive suite of conversion software. Maybe you could trial it and fix this file.

Draftsight is a free 2D Autocad clone and pretty much limited to dwg and dxf file types. We use it mainly for legacy data or a way to check SE dft to dwg output when a customer requests dwg for review or whatever.

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP10 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Phenom
Phenom

I just asked the sender to export to STEP files. Issue solved. I started this thread to make sure it was not something simple on my end. The file exchange are an actual job hand off to us, and I did not want to make them do anything not required for a proper hand off.    ----Don't never not use Tripple negatives!

Phenom
Phenom

Alternatively, check what is the latest Parasolid version you can export to.

Then ask your supplier to export as the same version - you should be able to import that OK.

HP Z420 16GB RAM
Quadro K4000
ST7 MP10 on Windows 7 Pro 64.