Converting a .MAX file into IGS/STL/STEP to be imported into SE

Siemens Experimenter Siemens Experimenter
Siemens Experimenter

Hi I have a .max file (~250MB) that I would like to convert into a format that can be imported into SolidEdge. I don't have 3D Studio Max so I can't convert it directly. Does anyone know of any other translators I can use for free? What target format would be the best to be imported into SE afterwards?

Thank you very much for your help?

-Philipp

3 REPLIES

Re: Converting a .MAX file into IGS/STL/STEP to be imported into SE

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Hi @tietjen,

If I remember correctly, native 3DSMAX models are tesselated files, so they may not be directly useful in SE without a degree of re-work. I have used Rhinoceros when I had this format to deal with, albeit, many years ago.

I have a very old version of Rhino, which may not be compatible with your file, but willing to give it a shot, if you can get the file to me somehow. [dropbox maybe...?]

There might be someone on here with a newer version, that might offer to try to convert it to something usable in Solid Edge for you.

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Limited
Solid Edge ST10 [MP0] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10

Siemens Experimenter Siemens Experimenter
Siemens Experimenter

Hi Sean,

thank you very much for your prompt reply. I am currently trying to install a trial version of 3DS Max but will have to clean up my HD first to free up some space.

In any case I will also get that file uploaded onto my dropbox so I can share it with you first thing in the morning tomorrow.

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Hi Philipp,

All done.....I exported an STL, and it read into Solid Edge [ST8] fine.....will leave the rest to you. [sending file via your dropbox]

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Limited
Solid Edge ST10 [MP0] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10