Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Converting all views in a draft to 2D doesn't remove

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

A user copied an assembly draft to a new name in a new folder then converted all the views to 2D. After doing that I would expect any links to a model or models to go away but that's not the case. It's still linked to the original asm model.

I tracked it down to a set of callouts and balloons on one of the views. There's really no way to tell which until I delete them. I don't know which specific ones because it's a tedious process of elimination that I don't care to go through. I don't think I should have to go through it.

There is nothing in the ones that I know are in the offending set to indicate why. Doing a "convert property text" on every callout and balloon doesn't help. I'd rather not have to delete anything.

I can't figure out any simple way to get rid of the link from Edge or Design Manager.  I haven't found anything in this forum.

We have the capability to break links in models so why not in drafts? Perhaps this is a bug?

Bruce Shand
ST10 MP10 - Insight - Win10 - K4200
5 REPLIES

Re: Converting all views in a draft to 2D doesn't remove

Solution Partner Phenom Solution Partner Phenom
Solution Partner Phenom

Do you have any parts list in your draft with the auto balloons?

If yes, convert the parts list to a table.

Solution Partner Phenom Solution Partner Phenom
Solution Partner Phenom

Did you also check @Tushar's macro to delete all links in a drawing which you can find in this post?

No parts list but I'll check Tushar's post. Thanks.

Edit: Well, no joy there. I didn't expect it to work because the description is that it converts views to 2D and parts lists to tables. I did the view conversions and there is no parts list.

What's going on here is different. Either it's a bug or we need a link sledge hammer for drafts like we have for models.

Bruce Shand
Highlighted

Phenom
Phenom

@bshand

Are there any callouts defined by 'Named Reference' ?

That might retain a link to a model, even when the view is dropped to 2D.

What about links in the text in the title block ?

HP Z420 16GB RAM
Quadro K4000
ST10 MP6 on Windows 10 Pro 64.

@beachcomber, No, it's definitely among a set of callouts in one view. And I've narrowed it down to balloons. If I sequentially delete them eventually the link goes away. However, it's not just one so I would have to go through a tedious process of elimination to find the offending set of callouts. I really shouldn't have to do that.

When I look at their properties there is no indication that I can see that they are linked. No properties referenced at all. Of course they did reference properties in the original draft before it was saved as and view converted to 2D. The link shown in the edit links is the same assembly as the original draft. I've changed source to a new blank .asm file, then deleted that .asm file but the drawing just warns that it's missing a link when I open it.

There is a command when you right click a balloon to "convert property text" which is supposed to delink. But it doesn't do anything because the balloon is already delinked in the convert to 2D process. Supposedly.

There's a problem. Guess I'll submit an IR.

Bruce Shand