Converting an assembly part to an internal part

[ Edited ]

Hi, i'm working with an assembly which has some parts mated to a part which belongs to another assembly, there's a fast way to convert this part to an assembly's internal part? 

Thanks.

5 REPLIES

Re: Converting an assembly part to an internal part

[ Edited ]

Hi there @Modelero,

Not sure I follow what it is you need here exactly.....is "Replace Part" of any help, or maybe "Replace Part with Copy"?

[To access - right click on the part & select More, then.....]

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Limited
Solid Edge ST9 [MP3] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10

No you can't but what you do this. Open the part and do a Save copy As. Save it to the folder you need it in. Then rename the file and save it. then do a replace as shown before

[ Edited ]

The Transfer command will allow you to move components from one sub-ASM to another.

There are some restrictions on components such as frames etc. that are defined in a specific context but for normal components this should do the trick.

NOTE: It will try to maintain relationships as much as possible but depending on the relationships
and where they reside in the ASM structure some may be lost. The component position in the ASM context is maintained.

Disperse is another command that comes in handy. This basically brings all the components of a sub-ASM up to the active ASM and removes the sub-ASM.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

Art

I know the replace command, i was wondering if i can have a part saved internally to the assembly without having an external part file, I guess i have to make a copy and save it in another place like TDB said.

Thanks.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 

No, the assembly file in Solid Edge is just a collector for parts and other sub-assemblies.

You can make it a weldment and add some features but that isn't for creating a solid body and you couldn't export it to a part file even if you did manage to create one.

In some other systems you can create multiple components (a bit like SE Multi-body) in a file and then 'externalise' those components. This, I think, replaces the 'internal' model with the 'external' model.

SpaceClaim is a system that can work like this - it only has 2 file types; model and drawing.

In a model you can have a mixture of internal and external components, so it can be a single part or an assembly.

HP Z420 16GB RAM
Quadro K4000
ST7 MP10 on Windows 7 Pro 64.