Coordinates of Projected Points

Pioneer
Pioneer

I have projected a number of points onto a surface and I need to find out the Z coordinates of the points on the surface.  The only way I can find to do it is to create a line between the original point and the projected point and then dimension the line (see attached screenshot).  This is very cumbersome for approximately 400 points and then I need to make it generic for any imported surface!  Thanking you in anticipation for any help.

7 REPLIES

Re: Coordinates of Projected Points

PLM World Member Legend PLM World Member Legend
PLM World Member Legend

Would this help?  I had to do something similar for a calibration frame we built for a swimming pool measurement system........

1) Create a coordinate system at the source point (if you don't already have a suitable one to refer to).

2) On the Inspect tab use the Measure command.

3) In the Measure Command Bar set the source to your coordinate system and set the other option to read Keypoints etc.

You should be able to read the x,y,z display simply by pointing to each point in turn as shown on the attached png.  The coordinates are read from the coordinate frame at Position A on the frame.

Hope that helps,

Edinburgh University

Pioneer
Pioneer

Hello Frank,

Good to hear from a fellow-academic user of Solid Edge in the UK.

Thanks for your reply.  My problems with this are as follows:

1. Using the Measure command, I find that I cannot select the projected points unless I first create a line to the point which seems a bit of a waste (see attached file created in the academic version).  Points with lines can be selected using Measure, those without lines cannot.
  2. I need to do this for a 20 x 20 array of points for a whole range of surfaces.  To have to select them one by one is very tedious and on top of that I need to capture the Z coordinates of the points for downstream use!
  3. In the attached file you can see the points in Sketch 1 which I originally projected on to the surface - I had to do this point by point, I found that I could not project the whole sketch and hence all of the points at once.  Is there a way around this?

Regards,

Desmond Brown

Ulster University

PLM World Member Legend

Hello Desmond,

hopefully I can help with some of your problem.

I seem to be able to read the points whrther or not they have lines drawn to them.  Maybe it's to do with the slection of keypoint options.  See the attached file 'ProjectedPoints.png'.

To save some of the labour in creating the points would it eb possible to create a Sketch consisting of a grid of lines?  This can be projected onto a surface as a complete sketch and the intersections show up as 'End of Line' keypoints so they can be seleted (see attached file 'ProjectedLines.png).

I'm afraid I can't think of a way of reading the coordinates automatically without having to write a program.  Or.... pay a student?

Cheers, hope to meet you in the UK or at SEU2015?

Frank

Edinburgh University

Phenom
Phenom

Hi,

I don't know details, but would like to suggest a solutions.

1. I suggest using assy environment, because you can query x;y;z coordinates by occurrence properties.

or.

2. Save your model as .step file and open it with notepad. You will see coordinates of points.

Here is a video about these solutions:

Apologize for Hun UI!

BR,

Imics
http://solidedgest.wordpress.com/

Pioneer
Pioneer

Frank,

In relation to your first point.  I did have 'All' selected but also had 'All elements' selected - I assumed that All meant all and included Keypoints.  But no and when I looked at yours closely I noticed that you had 'Keypoints' with 'All' selected.  So I selected Keypoints and was able to measure to the points with or without lines.  See attached.

Thanks for your input; it resolved that problem.

Desmond

Ulster University

Pioneer
Pioneer

Hello Frank & Imics,

Very many thanks to you both for your suggestions.  I have combined them both and got a solution (Imics, even with the Hun language!).

I am using you excellent suggestion of using a grid sketch, Frank and Imics idea of using Assembly.  I had tried the latter previously without success but after looking at Imics video, I got it to work.  See AssemblyOccurrence Properties.png attached.

I have also tried Imics suggestion of the STEP file which works but with a lot of extraneous data. 

Using copy and paste I can get the coordinates into an Excel sheet and remove the units to get the numbers. 

Do either of you know if there is any way of saving the data (ideally selectively – just the coordinates) from the Occurrence Properties?

So now that I have a working procedure, I need to automate it for 400 points for multiple surfaces!

Thanks again for your help,

Kind Regards,

Desmond

Ulster University

PLM World Member Legend

Desmond,

I don't know of any way of automating the data save other than the way you describe by cut and paste into Excel.  I've attached such a spreadsheet that automaticaly removes the units in case that's useful.

Imics,

thanks for the suggestion. I had never thought of writing a model out to a differnt file type in order to read values.  It has the slight limitation that 'Points' don't seem to register in STEP.  You need to create some sort of solid bodies but that works a treat for the calibration frame problem I had.

Frank

Edinburgh University