Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Betreff: Copied parts ST9

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

Yes it is. 

For me, if  I need another "copy" of resizable sheet metal, I have to make it again so it's driven from that assembly.

If it's a typical static part that's is used over and over. I make the part, then a draft the part to assign it a part number result (drawing number) from a material part number. Then an assembly from the part. And insert that assembly into the model where the part is needed. Then the inserted part's number is the drawing number by using the assembly to get that number to display in the parts list.

As a result, I never use a "copy" of a part.....what's the advantage?

If the part is not resizable from an assembly, and I need to copy as a starting point for another part, I just copy, rename, and open it using windows.

Experimenter
Experimenter
Ok, there is the possibility of transforming this new instance in a separate file?

Experimenter
Experimenter
Continuing ..

Because when I edit the part its "copy" also suffers from editing the same.
It is possible to transform the "copy" in an independent part?

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

That was my point. Use windows to copy the file, rename it. Now you have a new part made from the old that can be edited independently.

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

@RB2, It's not a copy, it's the same part. Think of a screw. You use it in several places but it's one part file being referenced. If you want an independent copy do a "save as copy" and give it a new name. This has the advantage of maintaining any links that may be in use. Using Window's file explorer copy is a crapshoot at best.

Bruce Shand
SE2019 MP5 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

PLM World Member Phenom PLM World Member Phenom
PLM World Member Phenom

What if you open the part in question in Design Manager and see what links are involved?

Kyle

Kyle Joiner
IPA LLC
ST10 MP1

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

I'm in the habit of looking inside the part and breaking links inside the file. Can break them all at once quickly.

Experimenter
Experimenter
Wow Men,

Yeah ! Now I get it!! Sorry for my poor experince on ST9. This is my first attempty to design a projet.

The comments you and the others help a lot!! Thanks you so much !!