Copied sketch does not update!

PLM World Member Legend PLM World Member Legend
PLM World Member Legend

I have a part in an assembly that uses a copied sketch (in Ordered Mode) to produce a pattern of holes.  After making some minor changes to the skeleton part that drives this and other parts, I noticed that a part had failed assembly relationships.  Upon further inverstigation in the problem part it turned out that the copied sketch is not updating and this caused the holes to become misaligned.  Updating all links does not make any difference soit would appear that this is a bug.  It is not a show-stopper as I will just recreate the copied sketch, but I am curious as to whether anybody has run into this problem!  Running ST6 MP11.

14 REPLIES

Re: Copied sketch does not update!

Genius
Genius

I've had this problem many times....in result, I stopped using copied sketch from about ST3 and up. I've also given SolidEdge a call but they could never replicate the problem.

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

Why would you expect a copied sketch to perpetually update?

PLM World Member Legend

Because it is LINKED.  Why wouldn't you expect a copied sketch to update if you make changes to the parent?  I think even the most brain-dead casual user might expect that.  I am sure that might be what the Solid Edge developers' design intent is for that functionality.  I don't understand why you ask that question.

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

So the sketch was created using a perpetual include? Did the perpetual include symbol on the included line get deleted?

When you started out stating it was a sketch copy, I assumed you did a copy and paste of the sketch.

I'm wondering how the link was originally established.

Genius
Genius

It's called a "Copied Sketch", which copies the sketch and links an uneditible sketch into the assembly/part. You cannot edit the profile similar to an interpart copy....but a sketch. See the picture below....copied sketch.jpg

PLM World Member Legend

The sketch was created using the Copy Sketch functionality in Ordered Mode (as Jramsey85 illustrated as I was typing this).  The Link to File option was left selected.  You can see the link symbol on Sketch 1 in the feature tree in the original pic I posted.  Sorry I was not clearer!

So what I am saying is that it appears that there is a bug that sometimes causes Copied Sketches to not update.

Cheers!

do you have automatic updates turned on>?

PLM World Member Legend

Absolutely!

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

When using plane control over ordered models, much of the time I have to save, close, and re-open the model or the specific part to force an update.

I call that giving the model a kick in the tires. Perhaps the same thing will be true for linked sketches.