Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Copy with mates?

Innovator
Innovator

Is there a feature that exists that lets me copy a part and the mates. 

but ask me where i want to reassign the mates

similar to this in SW https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ToiXLdm7ncs

Regards,

MagRiz
(ST9 User Est 01.18)
5 REPLIES

Re: Copy with mates?

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

I believe the closest functionality would be Capture Fit. Once you have placed a component in the assembly with relationships, select the component and run the Capture Fit command. A dialog will appear showing the relationships on that component that can be captured. You can remove any that you do not want to be remembered. You can choose whether or not to save the captured relationships in the component file so that they will be remembered any time you place that component from that point forward. If you choose not to save the captured relationships in the component file, they will be remembered until the document containing the component is closed. Once you have captured the relationships, you will only need to specify the target component / face every time the component is placed or pasted into the assembly. The only caveat is that not all relationship types are supported.

Hope this helps,

Greg

Gears Honored Contributor Gears Honored Contributor
Gears Honored Contributor

Further to what @GregLuckett described, here's a video from the official Solid Edge Tip-Tricks channel:

Regards,

Tushar

www.SurfAndCode.IN

Solution Partner Phenom Solution Partner Phenom
Solution Partner Phenom

Just using the steering wheel to copy will work also.

Hold the CTRL key down before you click the Steering Wheel.

(view in My Videos)

LMGi
www.TLMGi.com

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Hi @MagRiz

and besides all the given answers, which all of them are good and correct (I also would prefer either Capture Fit or Steering Wheel) please do not forget that we have System Libraries too.

Defining a system library not only allows You to save the relations (I don't like the SW word mates), but also to have multiple parts connected to each other and to bring features (holes, cutouts) into the parts too.

For the shown example my personal best methode anyway would be a pattern, using the hole feature or if not that simple You also can use the "Clone" function of ST10

All together seems much better and easier than those copy with mate.

But as always, this only is a personal opinion.

regards
Wolfgang

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

Hi,

As @hawcad mentioned Clone component is a very powerfull feature to "clone" parts with assy relationships.

Here is a video:

BR,

Imics
http://solidedgest.wordpress.com/