Solved! Go to solution

Craters of the Totem

[ Edited ]

Hi Edgeheads,

Anybody have any thoughts on a design process in SE, for a project like this.....[yes, this is a post, about actual POST's] Robot LOL

aee6f13227046ca60edf156e4cece534.jpg7082d944804008b06d5bffdf63268484.jpgCapture 1.jpg

My clients idea being, they will be made from a 3000mm long slab of 600mm x 600mm timber, some having 4 of these "eroded" sections along their length. There are 12 poles to make, so it will likely be CNC milled....therefore, needs to be modelled in CAD.

I think I have a bit of way to start, but just looking for some ideas......it's a little hard for me to break out of an metal work engineering mindset, into such organic chaos, so close to the weekend. Robot wink

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Limited
Solid Edge ST10 [MP0] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10
20 REPLIES

Re: Craters of the Totum

I would take the boolean approach. Make the block, and start subtracting sphears & bubles then add rounds between the bubles.

Thanks @12GAGE, pretty much what I had in mind.....I just need to devise a strategy, so I don't get near the end and discover the thing can't be machined, without some seriously custom tooling.

No doubt this will probably all come to a halt, once the price is sent out to the client.

Sean Cresswell
Windows 10

Must it be natural wood or can you go with a 3D printed wood composite material?  3D printing sure would make that feature a lot easier to make

[ Edited ]

@uk_dave,

Yes, 3D printing is probably how this was originally concieved.

A scaled down version of the product is expected to be 3D printed, so the client can "kick the tyres" as it were, of it's final looks....but we are refining it to something a little more practical, and fit for purpose in a public space.

Mechanically, there are probably more issues, than it is worth, based on their initial concept.

2016-11-11 (3).png

Sean Cresswell
Windows 10

SeanCresswell wrote:

.but we are refining it to something a little more practical, and fit for purpose in a public space.

I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss either the technology or material -- there are some amazing practical, durable pieces being accomplished in wood/polymer composite materials (and other materials) using RP technologies.  The RP materials are improving every day and 3D printing is no longer the realm of just prototyping but now allows for production pieces, whether it be from a 3D printed car to a house.

Albeit I admit that a public place will be one of the most abusive environments your product can face but when was the last you actaully looked at durability and suitability of RP materials?

Really nice peace of Handcraft Artwork - as 12GAGE said - Boolean Features method is a good idea or a little more time consuming - Surfaces.

I would prefer to slice it like a cake and work with the slices - these wholes aren't cylindrical, they are more like a freeform wholes.

Anyway - have fun Sean ;-)

Production: SE ST9 MP8

No matter how it's produced good luck in modeling. If it's done birds and other critters will love it too.

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP8 - Insight - Win10 - K4200
Solution
Solution
Accepted by topic author SeanCresswell
‎11-13-2016 02:23 PM

Very cool. Don't start in solids. I would create the holes as surfaces, and then build the webs between. If I were doing this, I would not try to use fillets to round things off, I'd just build it all from smooth surfaces right from the start. Fillets inevitably will leave you with weird artefacts.

Start from the solid blocks on the ends, and then start building the webs from the hole surfaces. I would sweep a half circle around the irregular profile of each hole. This was the kind of impossible stuff I used to do a fair bit of as a design consultant guy. If I were quoting this job, Id say 25-30 hours. If we could do subd modeling, it would take maybe two hours.

Retired Community Manager for Solid Edge. This account is no longer active.

bshand wrote:

...birds and other critters will love it too.

That is precisely the architects thinking behind the apertures....although, the timber they have initially selected [Macrocarpa] to use, is probably not the best choice for welcoming certain types of wildlife to inhabit them, which we have advised them of.

Sean Cresswell
Windows 10