Solved! Go to solution

Crazy Dim Text Scale

Okay, I've been living with it for far too long, and have decided to find an end to it: what option or style setting controls the relative dimension text scale in the sketch/model/assembly environments? I feel certain that it should scale with zooming like other applications. Any advice is appreciated.

2017-04-18_8-50-11.png

Solid Edge ST6 - Unmanaged
Win7 Pro - Dell Precision Xeon rig, 16Gb, Quadro M2000
7 REPLIES
Solution
Solution
Accepted by topic author Papasaurus
‎04-18-2017 11:06 AM

Betreff: Crazy Dim Text Scale

Hi @Papasaurus

this is a vey easy to answer question.

There are two settings which are important on how the dimesnions are shown on screen.

First is within the overall PMI tab in toolbar where You have to decide wether "Model Size PMI" or "Pixel Size PMI" This means, wether the dimensions should be absoluteley defined in size (mm) according to the setting in the dim options (text size in mm) or wether they should be shown always in the same size of pixel on screen without any regard to the currecnt zoom setting of what Your are watching.

Pixel Size is my prefrences since it does the better job when modeling.

20170418_1550.PNG

The second option You have to set is - if You have decide for pixel size, how many pixel should be used as text height.

This could be done via tool tab (see picture) or via keys (CTRL+SHIFT+, for decrease or CTRL+SHIFT+. for increase)

20170418_1549.PNG

If this all doesn't bring the proper result then it could be that You have activated a perspective view which increase the text extremely

regards
Wolfgang

perspective view within a 3D model could be due to turning the mouse wheel together with CTRL + SHIFT hold!

This happens soemtimes if You want to move the model (CTRL+SHIFT) and instead of pressing MMB You turn it.

This is why I always prefer RMB instead of MMB (Right Mouse Button rather than Middle Mouse Button [wheel])

regards
Wolfgang

Splendid! Absolutely splendid. Thank you very much! My workflow doesn't often include using the PMI tab, although I know I should be utilizing those benefits more often, so most of my investigation has been in the style and options dialogs.

Thanks again!

Yep, this kind of thing happens to me all of the time. But I am a butterfingered personality in general! =D

Hi @Papasaurus

welcome and I'm happy to be able helping You Man Happy

regards
Wolfgang

The only drawback to pixil setting is that you end up placing the dimensions for a specific range of zoom. When zoomed way out past that, they all overlap each other. But I still think it's the best way to go.

@12GAGE, So when that happens it's a one button click to set it to model size. Add it to the quick access toolbar if switching is a frequent occurence.

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP8 - Insight - Win10 - K4200