Create Drawings in Draft

Solution Partner Creator Solution Partner Creator
Solution Partner Creator

I would like to take views of solid model and paste them into a 2D Model.  Is this possible?

7 REPLIES

Re: Create Drawings in Draft

Legend
Legend

Are you talking about taking your drawing views in a draft, and putting them onto another drawing view? I'm not sure I understand what you're asking help for.

ST8 MP9
Go FAST, or go home.

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Hi there @dgalitzine,

If I understand correctly.....YES,

Using "View Wizard" to place model views in a draft [can also drag a model from Windows Explorer], and configuring the desired view options in the ribbon bar, prior to placing the view on the sheet. [some options can be set afterwards]

ST8_DFT_ViewWizard_RibbonBarOptions.png

or if actual "images" saved of a 3D model.....you can, by using "Insert Image", located on the Sketching tab.

ST8_DFT_Insert Image.png

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Limited
Solid Edge ST10 [MP1] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10

Phenom
Phenom

My guess is that he desires the equivilent of the project/flatten command from AutoCAD. This is how AutoCAD can create 2D linework from 3D models. Some companies use this old method to make drawing from AutoCAD 3D models.

With that method. Very small 2D files can be created from very complex 3D objects.

Once you have the 2D views, The drafting work does not require much computer power to 2D draft.

Phenom
Phenom

Does SE have a CGM export? You could do a CGM scrape of the drawing. The file would be drawing a flat/vector based file. Nasty to work with but it works.

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

And essentially that is the way Solid Edge works by default... It flattens the 3D models to 2D views that can stand on their own.

Thanks,
Ken

Production: ST9 MP10
Testing: ST10 MP1

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Since @dgalitzine is a new poster and may need more explicit help I made a video of how to

do Sean's suggestion.

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP10 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

PLM World Member Phenom PLM World Member Phenom
PLM World Member Phenom

As Ken mentioned, SE flattens the views automatically.  If you want to use those 2D views in other contexts, you can right click and select "convert to 2D view" but this will break the link between the 3D model and the view so keep that in mind.  I have used this technique to create blocks of parts for use in electrical schematics etc.  For general drafting work, however, I see no reason to use anything but what Solid Edge can do automatically when creating draft views.

I would like to get some information about the application so we can figure out the best way to help.

Kyle

Kyle Joiner
IPA LLC
ST9 MP1