Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Create a helical protursion on a cylindrical interior in CNC consist manner

Pioneer
Pioneer

HI,

I have created a cylindrical object with a groove carved into its exterior diameter.  I did this with a swept cutout tool along a helical path:

Capture.JPG

I would like to make a mating protrusion on the interior cylindrical cavity of something like a washer.  However, I would like to do it in a manner that will be CNC milleable.  I picture a spun cylinder operating at right angles to the washer operating along a helical path. 

However, I can't seem to get any of my first guesses at how to do this in Solid Edge to work.  Could someone provide an example?

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Create a helical protursion on a cylindrical interior in CNC consist manner

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Hi there @JordanMcB,

I'm struggling to understand what exactly you're trying to end up with......could you possibly make a hand-sketch over your image to show what you'd like to get to?

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Ltd
Solid Edge 2019 [MP8] Classic [x3 Seats - Cloud Enabled]
Windows 10 - Quadro P2000

Pioneer
Pioneer

YOu can see the beginnings of a swept solid body on the internal diameter of a washer.  The goal is to have a helical protrusion on it that will mate with the helical groove from my initiating post.  (To be honest, I can't even get the swept body to work right now.. it just outputs a useless error message)

Capture.JPG

But I don't think a CNC mill will be able to handle such a swept body on an internal diameter.  So my thought was that I could create a clindrical cutting tool running at right angles to the washer in the figure shown above (rather than the cylindrical protrusion tool shown which is parallel with the washer).  The cutting tool would then be similar to what is done on a CNC mill?

I'm very much a newb to this.  Does this make more sense?

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

@JordanMcB   i think solid sweep is the right command for you here.

Create a helical curve from the surfacing tab and then use the solid sweep command.

you need to create a multibody in order to use the solid sweep from a "tool"

Matt Johnson
Solid Edge Certified Professional
Solid Edge 2019 (SEEC) - Production
NX12 (Tc Integration)
Teamcenter 10.1.7

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Hi @Johnson_BigMatt 

I think - at least when looking onto the picture of the first post - that @JordanMcB  has used the Solid Sweep.

Man can see the tool body there.

But I'm with @SeanCresswell  (hi at this point and I hope it is getting better every day) that I can not fully understand what the intend really is.

regards
Wolfgang