Create a matrix where elemetns follow a fonction on their size ?

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hi,

I've been looking everywhere and I can't find any solutions for my problem.

I want to create a Matrix of element for example rectangle and, I want to have the rectangles decreasing their width along my X-axis and increasing their heigh along my Y-axis at a certain pace that I had define before. Is it possible to do that ? Or do I have to create my matrix and after reajust all my elements one by one ? 

Sorry for my english synthax and errors.

Thank you in advance,

V

6 REPLIES

Re: Create a matrix where elemetns follow a fonction on their size ?

PLM World Member Legend PLM World Member Legend
PLM World Member Legend

Hi there.

It is difficult to explain problems like this however you may be able to do what you want either by using simple functions on the diemsions to relate the elements to each other.  Alternatively you might be able to use a pattern command to drive multiple elements on a grid based on one initial element.

If the above does not help you could post a picture here we might be able to offer more help.

Cheers,

Frank

Edinburgh University

Phenom
Phenom

Looks like a sort of pattern where each element changes in size from the previous element, or there is a scaling factor from one to the next.

I think they would have to be seperate elements, but the dimensions could be linked to produce different sizes.

HP Z420 16GB RAM
Quadro K4000
ST7 MP10 on Windows 7 Pro 64.

Experimenter
Experimenter

Thank you for your prompt answer. 

I have put an image of what I want to do.

As you can see on it, the rectangles in a line decrease in lenght by a step of -50 mm (from left to right) and the rectangles in a column decrease by a step of -25 mm (from up to down).

For my example I had to do a matrix and then a link the dimensions of each with the right coefficent. That method is ok for few rectangles but I have to do a lot, so I was asking myself if I can create that decreasing step thanks to a rapid method ?

Thank you in advance,

V

PLM World Member Legend PLM World Member Legend
PLM World Member Legend

Hi,

I don't know of a way to do this with a pattern.

You could speed this up a little using relationships between the various lines, eg draw the rectangles in line with each other and SE will keep them that way, or you can specify a colinear relationship between lines. This means you can then enter formulae for a few dimensions (roughly one for each row/column rather than every element).  In a 3X2 pattern of rectangles this means 5 dimensions need to be set up rather than 12.  In larger patterns the savings will be much greater.

Alternatively you could maybe use the Grid command to set up a grid with the correct spacing (25mm?) and then you might be able to snap onto the points to speed up drawing (if the spaing between elements allows this.

If any of the above is helpful but you need more info let me know and I'll make a picture or video for you.

Frank

Edinburgh University

Experimenter
Experimenter

There is no patterning command that will do this.

The only way to automate it is to write a macro.

If the shapes are just rectangles, look at using a slot instead - you can set the shape to be square ended.

Experimenter
Experimenter

Thank you all for yours answers ! (Especially FrankMill)

I think I'm going to set up some macros Smiley Happy

Have a good day all,

V