Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Create annotations in Exploded Assembly

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hi all,

I have an exploded assembly and I would like to use Ballons to annotate each part with a number. I cant find a way to do this in the ERA environment. Does anyone know how to do this?

I am also aware that this can be done in a draft, but I loose image quality of the exploded view. If someone can propose a way to enhance image quality in the draft environment (colored parts as in the assembly environment), that could also work.

Thank you in advance.

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Create annotations in Exploded Assembly

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

@Tilemachos,  I don't believe PMI is an option in the Exploded 3D model, however you can increase accuracy of the view in Draft by editing the Drawing View properties and on the Shading and Color tab there is a "Shaded view quality" setting that can be increased from the default 150 pixels per inch to a maximum of 300 pixels per inch.

Ken
Production: SE 2019 MP8, Testing: SE 2020
http://Grundey.blogspot.com

Experimenter
Experimenter
Hi KennyG,

I have just found it, you are right. Thank you for your answer.

Just to add something for anyone that might have this problem in the future.

If you want to produce a high quality pic of an exploded view with annotations, bring the exploded view in a draft environment in a Scale 1:1 (not smaller because the image will have worse quality), and THEN export it to a PDF, using Print Area. (preferably using Microsoft to PDF print - Adobe PDF printer doesn't work that well for me, the image is not converted). Also it is better to have the image Shaded, without Edges, for better quality.

Gears Honored Contributor Gears Honored Contributor
Gears Honored Contributor

I'd suggest placing the exploded drawing view in Draft at any scale, shade it using the option from the command bar, add the callouts, then window select the view, callouts and anything else that needs to be,

Now simply press Ctrl+C to copy to the clipboard, then paste it into MS Word, where you will be able to scale it up or down by any factor without loss of quality by draging the handles in the image corners.

Here's a screen-shot of my MS Word with a drawing view along with callouts pasted and it looks good even after scaling it:

dvmswd01.png 

You can print it out from there.

When Copy-Pasted directly by first selecting them, drawing views take the vector route and are stored in the clipboard as a metafile instead of a bitmap, hence when pasted in another application like Word or Powerpoint, scale up or down very well as compared to tweaking its pixels to enhance image quality.

Hope this helps.

~Tushar

www.SurfAnCode.IN

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hi Tushar,

Very interesting what you said with the vector route. I have tried this method before, and the problem with it, was that when I exported the word document to pdf, only the annotations are shown in the pdf and not the parts themselves. Thats why you need to turn directly the image from the Draft environment into a pdf in the highest quality, and then take a snapshot from the pdf to turn it into an image file, or incorporate directly the pdf file with anything else you would like.

(OR my MS word has a problem in converting these stuff, but i doubt that because this problem shows up only in this case)