Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creating Block Issue

Phenom
Phenom

Hi,

I have noticed that when creating the Block I am loosing all my dimensions previously set up to the 2D draft.

Is it a bug or done on purpose ?

I have all my dimensions located on the seperate layer.

(view in My Videos)

Thanks

Arek

ps.

I found a strange behaviour of this feature :

When I hide the dimensions before creating the block - I will definetely loose them forever, BUT if I will keep them visible during creating the block THEN I will keep them.

(view in My Videos)

Production: SE ST10 MP8
;
7 REPLIES

Betreff: Creating Block Issue

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Hi @arekkul

this only is a "I suppose" answer:

I have seen that You have put all Your dimensions onto the "Auto Hide" layer

OK, this is a special layer from Solid Edge which will not be visible when looking from the outside.

And I suppose that in the moment when You are creating a block, the object now are inside a block and therefore You are looking from the outside, and therefore they are not visible anymore.

So my advise would be to move all Your dimensions onto a separate special layer - let's say You name it dimensions - and I'm very confident, that then Your problem no longer will be existend.

Give it a try

regards
Wolfgang

Phenom
Phenom

Hi @hawcad

thank you for a quick answer,

unfortunately after placing the dimensions to the different layer I got the same issue.

(view in My Videos)

Regards,

Arek

Production: SE ST10 MP8
;

Hi @arekkul

sorry, but SE is exactly doing what You told it to do.

You have created a block called "Block 2" (first block creation in the video) where the dimensions are visible and they are saved into that block as seen when blank/unblank the dimension layer.

But then You do a copy of the original elements, at this moment with dimensions visible, but then You hide the dim layer and now You select the rest of the geometry (lines only) so within Your selection there is no single dimension, how should it be there?

So of course blank/unbklank the dim layer will not change anything with this second block "Block 3".

But put the first block "Block 2" onto the paper again and You will see that SE exactly will follow Your instructions.

regards
Wolfgang

Hi @arekkul

and are You able to solve Your problem now?

regards
Wolfgang

To state what I think @hawcad is saying: if you hide the dims before making the block then they won't be in the selection set when you define the block. Therefore they won't be in the block. Seems right to me.

Bruce Shand
ST10 MP7 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Hi @bshand

thank You for clarifying my thoughts.

Yes this is/was exactly what I wnated to say!

Sometimes it is easier to say it simple and straight!

regards
Wolfgang

Re: Creating Block Issue

Solution Partner Phenom Solution Partner Phenom
Solution Partner Phenom

Hi,
This behaviour is reasonable. You have to consider two things:
First - only selected elements will be included in the block. This has been mentioned already.
Second - you have two possibilities when creating a block:
- place it immediately after creation, this is your case. Then the selected elements are removed from the sheet and the block is placed at this position.
- leave the elements on the sheet and create the block in the library. This will keep the invisible dimensions.
In your case the lines are copied to the block and removed from the sheet. The dimension has no line to reference to and will be deleted. Then a new block occurrence is placed on the sheet.

regards

JB
SE ST10