Creating a DXF / Flat Pattern of legacy parts

We have a significant cataloge of older parts, which occationally we need to re-manufactor, these are sheet metal parts which are saved a .par file, most likely dating from pre ST1.

When I try 'save as DXF' the option is greyed out, and when I go to flattern these it want to convert them to a flat in whatever level of quality you select rather than just flatterning them, which leaves to poor forming of curves and small holes.

The only way I have found to get a DXF out is either to reverse engineer the whole part as a new .psm file, or create a DXF via the drafting enviroment. Any other thoughts? 

We are currently using ST8.

5 REPLIES

Re: Creating a DXF / Flat Pattern of legacy parts

When you open the files do they contain sheet metal features or just part features ?

I think they will need to be all sheet metal features to flatten them.

HP Z420 16GB RAM
Quadro K4000
ST7 MP10 on Windows 7 Pro 64.

Isn't there a Switch To Sheetmetal button, and then would let you do a flat pattern? I created some unconventional pieces as parts, and then switch to sheetmetal. The flattening of those is a different process than normal sheetmetal parts, but it works.

Hi there @NuStar,

Any chance you are able to share one example of the part files giving you trouble?

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Limited
Solid Edge ST10 [MP0] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10

Right,

Thanks for the comments so far, I have done a bit more digging.

On a new .par file which is just a flat shape, if rather than trying to flattern under the tools tab it I use 'thin to sheet metal' the part then in effect it just turns it into a sheetmetal and everything works as it did, rather than wanting me to select a level of courseness for the conversion, resulting in poor approxmation of round holes etc.

On an equivelent older .par file however this tool does not work, it just sticks on 'select the base face for conversion' and will not progress whatever I try. Either if it is an all flat part, or a 'folded part' extruded from a single u-shape sketch.

If I 'flattern' it in the tools tab, as said in the opening post, even on '10-fine' which takes some processing time the holes form badly as per the attached screen shot.

An example of an flat part (bearing gusset) is attached. Last modifed date 2003.

Also and exmple of 'extruded' folded part (lift plate) is attached. Last modified in 2002.

Daniel

Hi @NuStar,

I had no trouble converting both of those part files, to working  sheet metal files......the key difference I did, was to use the "Switch To" command, to enter the sheet metal environment first, in order to get the "Thin Part to Sheet Metal" command, and then the "Flatten" command.

2017-03-30.png

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Limited
Solid Edge ST10 [MP0] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10