Creating a flange revolved around a circular tab?

Builder
Builder

Hello all!

I was wonering how one could make a sheet metal cylinder with end? I am open to any and all methods. A quick video would be greatly appreciated.

Truly Yours,

This guy

7 REPLIES

Re: Creating a flange revolved around a circular tab?

Phenom
Phenom

I would do it in this way:

This video is currently being processed. Please try again in a few minutes.
(view in My Videos)

Builder
Builder

Thanks. What if I wanted to make a part like this in sheet metal. I am not sure it would flatten in to the blank I wanted if drawn with the slice missing like in your part taken out.

Phenom
Phenom

Kreiger_guy

You can not have a 360 degree Flange. So you need to make it 359.5 so there's a slight slot there... which would be there for the weld.

If you want to do it as your picture shows, you just make it in PART.  But Sheet Metal is based on how this would be made in the real world!

Phenom
Phenom

Well you can model it in part then convert it in sheet metal.

And then use the new blank part tool.

This video is currently being processed. Please try again in a few minutes.
(view in My Videos)

Builder
Builder

I understand that. This part will be stamped from sheet metal, No weld, stamped as solid part. I was just wondering if such a part could be made in the sheet metal environment. So what I am seeing is that solid edge sheet metal cannot accommodate draw die parts, like a pop can

Phenom
Phenom

Yes it can be done in Solid Edge as mentioned by Fiorini using the New BLANK command in Surfacing

http://screencast.com/t/hRDRAqi0fz8d

Builder
Builder

Any idea why the part would not come out square? Why the part looks messed up after being flattened? I am pretty sure everything is concentric with the part. I just wonder why the width and height of the part is different after being flattened when it should be equal since it is a circle.