Creating a porous cone

Hi,

I'd like to create a porous cone design in solidedge, but am unsure of a practical way to make it porous. My simple design for the structure is attached - a simple cone.

But rather than being a solid cone, I would like it to be porous, having 'pores' of diameter 1mm.

This would be like some porous materials you get (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metal_foam). Any idea how to create a porous structure?

Thanks for the help!

Charlie

3 REPLIES

Re: Creating a porous cone

What is your goal of having it "porous" in Solid Edge?  Mass, visualization, mechanical properties?  All of this can be done creating and using the correct material definition.

Thanks,
Ken

Production: ST9 MP7
Testing: ST10

Hi Ken,

Thanks for the reply. The idea is to 3D print the porous cone structure, so the pores do have to be physically there in the design - not sure if changing the material properties would do this?

Charlie

No, the material properties would not do this.  You would have to model this, but I would talk to whomever is doing your 3D printing as pore sizes of 1mm clear of material may not even be doable with many 3D printing methods/machines.

Thanks,
Ken

Production: ST9 MP7
Testing: ST10