Creating an edge normal to a surface

Genius
Genius

A late happy new year to you all. I have a tricky little problem that I am trying to solve. I am trying to create a solid from 5 surfaces by stitching them together. However I am having difficulty creating the edge shape that I want. The Ruled edge command is the result I want but I need the top edge to be of variable height.

I have used 3D sketch and the sweep tools to create a shape that is similar to what I want but cannot get 3D sketch to create a line normal to the surface. I have also tried by creating a ruled surface and then using the contour curve tool. However there is no way to restrain the curve with dimensions. Also I cannot pick where the edge of the base surface goes from concentric to eccentric.

The sample I have attached is the sweep version so that you get an idea of the shape I am wanting to produce.

I have so far spent a whole day trying to design better, but so far the software is getting the better of me.

Any help with this little problem would be very much appreciated.

Neil...

3 REPLIES

Re: Creating an edge normal to a surface

Solution Partner Phenom Solution Partner Phenom
Solution Partner Phenom

Hello Neil,

here is my attempt to create your desired geometry. I am not sure if this is what you want to create.

In my exampe there you can see feature 3D sketch 8, which include two lines normal to your face. I created this using 3D Include command in 3d sketch environment from feature Ruled 4.

Hope this helps you figure it out.

Ota

Genius
Genius

Hi Ota,

Although your solution was not what I was looking for, it did allow me to find the solution. I split the surface into sections and placed ruled surfaces on each section the height I wanted. Then used the sweep command to produce the correct shape. Then connected all the surfaces.

Attached is the solution.

I greatly appreciated your help with this Ota, many thanks for your time.

Solution Partner Phenom Solution Partner Phenom
Solution Partner Phenom

Neil,

you are welcome.

Sometimes it requres the smallest push :-)

Ota