Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creating an extrusion between comps in an Assembly

Experimenter
Experimenter

I am attempting my first form fixture, and am having trouble with getting a filler block between the formed part and my base plate.  The part is formed at a twist on a light angle.  Is there a way to create an extrusion from the part to the base plate, and then simply removing the part and base plate to get the filler block by itself?  I am making the filler block to be machined out at the correct twist and angle.  If there is a better/easier way, I am open to suggestions.helo.jpg

8 REPLIES

Re: Creating an extrusion between comps in an Assembly

Legend
Legend

I can't tell if the formed part you want to copy from has a flat plane, but i'd imagine it must.

If it does, then I'd do an Inner-part copy within the assembly. I'd place the block where I want it, then do the Inner-part copy of the bracket that is formed, and choose the surface you want to mate to. Then, I'd create a perpendicular plane off of that surface you copied, and that would allow me to make a cut at the exact angle(s).

If it's not a flat plane on the bracket, then I would have to figure out how to make that cut anyhow, and would still use the bracket for an Inner-part copy of the surface I want to mate to.

I'm interested in hearing other approaches!

Re: Creating an extrusion between comps in an Assembly

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

Going along with Trikefreak's post, once you have the inter part copied face of the twisted part, in your new spacer block model, you can use the "replace face" tool to make the new block follow the contour of the twisted part.

Kyle

Kyle Joiner
IPA LLC
ST10 MP1

Betreff: Creating an extrusion between comps in an Assembly

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Hi @JSDMP

just create a simple basic block as middle part, as high as YOu like it, doesn't matter, 
and then do a "Replace Face" command from the surface tools.

See video

regards
Wolfgang

Legend
Legend

I've never used the Replace Face command. Does it create a link to the original face? Is there a way to offset the new surface from the original face?

@Trikefreak wrote:

I've never used the Replace Face command. Does it create a link to the original face? Is there a way to offset the new surface from the original face?

Yes,....use the Surfacing tools > Offset command, then use that as the Replace Face operator.

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Ltd
Solid Edge ST10 [MP8] Classic [x3 seats]
Windows 10 - Quadro P2000
Testing: Solid Edge 2019

Hi @Trikefreak

if You work with a synchronous model, then normally there will be no interpart linkt between them.

This is what You have seen in the video.

If You want to establish an interpart connection, then there are also possibilities to make them.

In the part You have to switch to ordered mode before.

I for myself like the sync method with no interparts more.

Interparts somewhen are bringing problems, at least this is my opinion.

Regarding the offset.

Again, if You are in sync mode then first bring the face to the exact position as done before and then select it and move it with sync power about the wanted offset.

No need for any extra surface, feature, interpart.

regards
Wolfgang

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

Hi,

I like Replace face command, it's very useful, but I suggest using Extrude with "from to" option, because you can add offset value in one step... Just a suggestion...

Here is a short video:

BR,

Imics
http://solidedgest.wordpress.com/

Legend
Legend
Thanks!

BTW, there's no need to link my user profile/name to the reply. If I want email notifications, I have the ability to turn that on/off in the thread.