Creating new alingment set for existin dimensions, can it be done?

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Is there a way to create an alignment set from existing dimensions that are not currently members of an alignment set?

Attached picture shows coordinate dims. starting at 0.454 across top of part (I intentionally m. Can all dims to right be aligned?

Another question about this view, Section A-A & D-D share common cutting plane. Can one of the cutting plane lines be turned off so line type is visible on remaining line?

And a third question about view. Some dimensions have either revision level indicators or inspection indicators placed by them. Is there a way that these blocks could be tied to dimension? If view is shifted these blocks do not move with corresponding dimension. (This one is probably wishful thinking)

ST7 with MP7

Gary Dinges

Emerson/Therm-O-Disc

Mechanical Design Engineer

New Product Development

8 REPLIES

Re: Creating new alingment set for existin dimensions, can it be done?

1.)if you have maintatin alignment set turned on and then drag a dim until it lines up with another and gets the red dotted line they will become aligned.  you cna continue to add dims to the set this way.

2.)  RMB on the section view, not the cutting plane line or view, the placed section.  from the dilong box go to general tab and uncheck the box "show view annotation"

2015-06-18_0929.png

3.)  when placing annotation to dims.  if you touch the dim or part geometry nearby and it highlights red and tehn you place it it will be anchored to the entity that was highlighted.  if the annotations are already placed and not anchored you can turn on the leader, hold ALT and drag the leader to anchor to geometry or the dim (if it allows) and this will then be anchored,  nor hide the leader and you have a "floating" callout that is still anchored to the view

HTH

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Matt,

Thank you for reply.

Item 1,

I have tried to get dims to align with adjoining dims with no success. I do have Maintain Alignment box highlighted. I attached part & draft file if some one would care to look at them to see if I have file specific issue.

Item 2,

Doing as you suggest, turns off all reference to cutting plane. Do you think a custom line type for one of the two cutting planes with widely spaced dots might work?

Item 3,

Your suggestion led me to use Balloons with leaders turned off for the revision level indicators (circle balloon) or inspection indicators (diamond balloon). This will work as desired.

Gary

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Custom line type with widely spaced small dashes did give desierd result for the overlapping cutting plane lines. Now line type style is visable with both cutting sections displayed.

Gary

i assume you are trying to align coordinate dimensions...  AFAIK you can not use the alignment sets on those...?

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Below is link to short video showing alingment sets are functional & can be split with coordinate dimensions. Dimensions on part were just randomly placed for video.

Issue I am having is I can't reattach a coordinate dimension to alingment set.

Gary

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwGRPSMPg2U&feature=youtube_gdata

so you can manually re align the dims but it appears that arrange dims does not work in bulk.

see here http://screencast.com/t/iNrOy9bgoxNM

from SE HELP

2015-06-19_1149.png

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Matt,

Watching your video has helped a lot. I can now get dims to align.

I was using incorrect selection point of 1st dimension. Getting to work in bulk is not an issue for me.

One more related question. In video linked below, when I selected the 0.73 dim and move it, movemenet is smooth I can select any point to release it. When the 2.77 dim is moved up, it acts like there is a snap setting on, I can only move it in steps. Any idea what might be causing this?

Thank You,

Gary

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2qVVfeXfsw&feature=youtube_gdata

it appears that selecting the dimension vs teh handle have different effects.

The handle allows infinate (smooth) thansition, where the handle steps (most likley by some ofset in the style property)

FYI,  ST8 has an enhancement to add handles to dinensions and other annotations to clearly show there are difference between selection points...  that may indicate different behavior like this.

http://screencast.com/t/wXvxiNDTnlP