Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creating positioned holes through a cylinder's mantle

Genius
Genius

Hi

I'ld like to arrange a few hole through a cylinder mantle. They shall be arranged on two lines along the cylinder axis. Their orienation is vertical to the tangential plane of the mantle, penetrating the opposing side mantle as well.

One line is centered on one tangential plane of the mantle, the second line is arranged on a tangential plane of the mantle 90 perpendicular to the first one.

Below the illustration of the holes arrangement

se24.jpgThe 8 holes, I want to arrange on a cylinder's mantle

I didn't find, how to get that task solved in the synchronous mode, as I didn't find a method to relate the holes to eachother.

I got the following hole's menu in the synchronous mode.se22.jpgThe hole menu in the synchronous mode

Only if I switch to the ordered mode I find a hole's menu, that allows me to choose arrange a tangential plane of a defined orientation on the cylinder's mantle for to create the initial set of holes and thereafter I can choose another tangential plane oriented perpendicular to the first one.

se23.jpgthe hole-menu in the ordered mode

After I moved the holes from the ordered mode to the synchronous mode, I can move them along the line with the PMI-tool.

My question is: Is there also a recommended way to solve this task within the synchronous mode?

Probably there is a reason in the synchronous mode philosophy, why the hole's menu different from the one in ordered mode. Any comments on that for explanation are welcome.

Best regards

Hans

16 REPLIES

Re: Creating positioned holes through a cylinder's mantle

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Hi there @Hans11,

If I understand you correctly, the task is to be able to adjust all the holes, based off of one holes input values.....yes?

In that case, why not make use of patterns?

Take a look at the attached ST10 file roughly based on what I see in your images, to see if this is what you're trying to do.

2018-01-16.png

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Ltd
Solid Edge 2019 [MP2] Classic [x3 Seats - Cloud Enabled]
Windows 10 - Quadro P2000

Re: Creating positioned holes through a cylinder's mantle

Genius
Genius
Thank You. That looks just like what I wanted to create. I didn't realize the pattern option up to now. I'll have a look into how pattern works.

Betreff: Creating positioned holes through a cylinder's mantle

Hi @Hans11

Hi @SeanCresswell

besides of patterning a hole, which I would use for a higher number of holes, You simply can use the F3 button when holding Your mouse above the cylindar face.

This will lock the tangent plane of the cylindar as hole reference and also will allow You to specify the wanted angle.

So place Your first hole, then press A to align further holes to that one.

Select the two linear holes and rotate/copy them using the steering wheel or place them as before with a tangent reference.

BTW You simply can place the holes as whereever You want to have them.

If they are there once, You can specify exact positions using linear and angular dimensions.

I will provide a video later the day

regards
Wolfgang

Hi @Hans11

Hi @SeanCresswell

and here is the promised video.

Hope it helps!

(view in My Videos)

regards
Wolfgang

Genius
Genius

Hi Sean,

thank You for the suggestion to use patterns. Yes I find it is a comfortable way.

First circular pattern

• I generate one of the desired holes with the solids/holes menu,
  • check the hole with the mouse and choose in the pattern menu circular
  • choose the top end of the cylinder as the guiding plain of distrubution, then
  • the set number of copies to be 4, and one circular pattern of holes is ready.

Second linear pattern

• Next I check the newly generated pattern, chose from the pattern menu rectangular,
  • elect the Y-Z plain a guiding the distribution and
  • put x-count=1 and y-count=2 and the distance=470 and the second pattern is ready.

(view in My Videos)

What I find irritating in this procedure is the nomenclature of the axes in the generation of the second -this time rectangular- pattern. I have to fill in the number of duplicates along two axes, called x-axis and y-axis. But these pattern axes are not parallel to the x-axis and y-axis of the construction Base. For me the direction of the x-axis and y-axis of the pattern plain is somewhat nonrational. In this case the x-axis of the pattern is parallel to the y-axis of the construction and the y-axis of the pattern is parallel to the Z-axis of the construction.

If I do the same procedure as above with the exception, that

• I choose the X-Y plain of the construction as the guiding plain for the rectangular pattern

then the x-axis of the pattern is parallel to the X-axis of the contruction and  y-axis of the pattern is parallel to the Y-axis of the contruction. In this case I have to modify the prefilled setting of the pattern (x-count=2, y-count=1) to

Thererfore I have to change the prefilled setting of the pattern and set x-count=1, y-count=2. And I have to set the y-count initially and the x-count second to avoid the error message value must be greater than one. In this case the orientation along the chosen direction is inverse to the orientation I wanted. I do not know how to choose the direction - so I had to correct it at the end.

(view in My Videos)

In this trial I also met the error message "Duplicate variable name: Pattern_15_YCount". The variable name is set by Solid Edge, so I guess at some occasion, Solid Edge has an internal problem. But this is automaticely overcome by hitting OK.

So far my experience with the generation of a pattern on a cylinder with an included questions about how to define the orientation and how to guess the direction of the pattern's rectangular axes.

Comments are welcome.

I answer later in a separate answer to Wolfgangs suggestion.

best regards

Hans

Hi @Hans11

patterning in Solid Edge, and especially in Ordered is a 2D issue.

So selecting Your pattern plane to draw the pattern "rectangle" or "circle" always is a 2D sketch.

And within this sketch You will have (defined Yourself) horicontal and vertical or common to say X and Y oriantation.

This has nothing to do with the global coordinate directions, due to a pattern can be oriented to any direction in space.

Regarding Your example, and as already mentioned on morning, I would not use a double pattern (circular and rectangular) for a total of 4 holes.

Place them directly within one feature.

At least You cn do this for the linear arrangement of two holes with a distance

And if wanted, You can circular attern those 2 basic holes by 90 degrees.

This is the only or easiest way in ordered.

Where in sync I would create all 4 holes in one step, shown in the video

If You are in confusion regarding a rectangular pattern , although You are only pattern them in one direction, YOu can use a linear pattern or curve patter instead.

Here You only need to define one direction, count and distance value.

regards
Wolfgang

Genius
Genius

Dear Wolfgang

I tried Your suggestions today.

Working with F3 works also well. I didn't realize up to now, that I can choose the orientation of the tangent plain by giving the angle. So I can generate the initial two holes after defining one tangential plain, and the next two holes after defining the next tangential plain.

(view in My Videos)

The second idea You suggested was generating the initial two holes and copy and paste them rotated by 90 degrees.

I could copy one set of holes and rotate it afterwards by 90 degree. But pasting the copied holes was not as expected. They were not automaticely placed at the location the source of copy had been and there was only the scetch of the hol's wall but they were not cut out. What did I oversee?

(view in My Videos)

Best regards

Hans

Hi @Hans11

let answer to Your first approach (video)

What I see watching Your video, and where I would do it differently, is, that I always suggest to my trainees, to not change views to principal before placing any feature, sketch,e tc.

So what I see in Your video is, that You work in top view, placing the first two holes, using dimensions.

Ok, but I would do it in ISO view to see the part in a more 3D view, recognizing more edges, points, etc. better than in 2D font view.

And then, You do the same with the 180 degrees plane from front view  with again using exactly the same dimensions.

I have a very old rule, also true for traditional models:

"Never ever put the same dimensions twice in a model!"

If You already have dimensioned some geometry, then us it for further geometry with geometrical relations!

Especially snyc rules and techniques makes this a lot easier for You.

Keep in ISO place the second two holes and align them with the first two holes by vertical realtion.

Even that is not necessary!

Design Intent recognizes this relation automatically and keeps it for You

If not successful the first time You are placing a hole, don't worry about.

Select it later and move it in one axis direction until You have reached the relating one

Done!

regards
Wolfgang

Hi @Hans11

OK, answering now Your second video/question/issue

What happens here is, that You simply have forgotten to push the COPY button or to use the CTRL button when starting the rotation.

And again, sorry for boring, but again keep the view in ISO, believe me, You will make Your life and work easier.

See video:

(view in My Videos)

regards
Wolfgang