Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Betreff: Creating positioned holes through a cylinder's mantle

Genius
Genius

Hi Wolfgang

Thank You for the hints for efficient work.

I usually use the Iso-View, I just thought my choice was more clear in the video. OK.

Looking at Your video I saw Your way to copy was different from mine. We both chose in the Pathfinder the Synchronous/Features/HoleNr/HoleNr.

• My way in the video: Then I chose Copy from the mouse-right-menu and pasted it later with the same menu. What I had pasted then was just a "Face Set"s, but not holes.
  • Your way: You chose the copy from the steering-wheel-menu.You got the hole. Clearly, the results with Your way were better.

My questions:

1. What makes the mouse-right-click-copy just copy the faces, while steering-wheel-menu-copy copies the volume? How can I know, if faces or volumes are copied?
  2. But  even trying Your way, in my trial a little piece of surface remained in covering partly the hole (see attached video).

(view in My Videos)

Best regards

Hans

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Hi @Hans11

the only point I can see watching Your video is, that I suppose You do not placing the steering wheel correctly to the center of the cylindar.

Use the cylindar edge, look on Your mouse icon, wether showing You the center/axis and I think everything will work perfect.

What do You mean by Copy with the RMB and Copy with the steering wheel?

regards
Wolfgang

Hi @Hans11

OK, just seen when watching Your older video.

Again, I only might suppose the position while placing is not exactly enough.

Therefore the hole reference can not be found and the holes copy only can be placed as construction geometry.

You can attach those faces afterwards using the RMB menu

But I personally prefer the Steering Wheel method

regards
Wolfgang

Hi @Hans11

PS.: please consider that in both methods there is a new, second hole feature created, what IMHO is not the best way to do.

So after copy the holes, break those features into simple face sets and run the "Recognize Holes" function

This will create a new single hole feature with multiple holes in it

regards
Wolfgang

Genius
Genius

The command sequence Break+RecognizeHoles applied to my threaded holes, collects the holes in one hole structure in the PathFinder. Up to now I can assess the advantage it has. But the treads mounted within these holes were lost. Can I reinstall them?

Best regards

Hans

Hi @Hans11

besides the fact, that if this is a real hole feature, You always can define the type of Your hole.

And You also can do this during the Recognize feature dialog

regards
Wolfgang

Genius
Genius

Thank You, Wolfgang.

I believe again I learned a few basic things about holes in SolidEdge.

• Threads are just one of the hole's features. The type and size of a thread can be modified simply by clicking the attached PMI and choosing another thread. But this way I cannot remove a thread leaving a pure hole remaining and viceversa.
  • I can copy and paste a hole with two methods using copy and paste from the RMB (right-mouse-button) menu or from the Steering-Wheel-Menu. In the latter case the old locations of the holes relative to the solid body remain, while in with RMB-Paste the location must be defined for new, what's somewhat complicated. If the location fails to be defined precisely correct, the Faces are pasted but cannot be attached to the body's surface with the consequence that no holes are cut and only the faces remain. Their state is detached, what means they are not connected to the volume's surface and only visible as lines on it's surface.
  • The Break command applied to some holes generates a "FaceSet" from the holes. With the Solid-menu command Holes/RecognizeHoles this FaceSet is analysed and a grouped table of holes is established. Therein I can choose "if any" and "what type of" thread will define the hole's surface.

Best regards

Hans