Creating shapes from xyz points

Hi guys - new here and new to Solid Edge. This is probably really basic but I've no idea what I'm doing.

I have a few sets of xyz points - when combined they make a handful of sets of irregular lines. When comined with an additional set of z points these lines take the form of irregular shapes. These shapes are displaced from each other in an irregular way. Thus the only way of relating them is if all shapes are drawn according to their xyz positions.

In AutoCAD (not sure if that is a taboo topic!) this would be achieved through the Line command with each vertex given by an xzy position. But - it looks aweful in AutoCAD. I was hoping I could come up with something that looked better Solid Edge. But from what I can see - having drawn a point (I was going to play join the dots) - I can only specify point positions in x and y.

Any ideas? Cheers - Will

PS. please see attached an example spreadsheet of the points I'm trying to model

6 REPLIES

Re: Creating shapes from xyz points

Hi there, and welcome to both the SE Community & indeed, Solid Edge.

I don't have enough free time to go through the process, but at a glance, there doesn't appear to be very much deviation in your Z inputs anyway, so would it be fair to say they are supposed to be [or could be] "planar"?

There is a command called "Curve by Table"....take a look at the help file on how this is best run.....from memory it's a pretty straight forward process.

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Limited
Solid Edge ST9 [MP8] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10

The only "out of the box" way to import this is to use the Curve by Table command.  It basically expects X, Y, Z coordinates for the start point, then each vertex, and the end point.  It gives options for line segments or a curve with or without smoothing.  The curve/line segment is contiguous, so if if it needs to be broken up, it will need to be ran multiple times.

If you want XYZ points, then there is probably a VB macro or two out there that can do it using a Coordinate System.

Ken Grundey
Production: ST9 MP6
Testing: ST10

Cheers Sean - I've just tried that function with one target (as below with xzy in columns) and it returned 'Invalid Geometry - edit feature inputs'. I'd say the z values in the positions are pretty important - they can indicate the gradient of the targets. But I'd agree the z (depth) values are somewhat planar - they do vary as the targets are irregular in shape - but for this model on paper a regular shape could be used.

419759.35579526-1.17
419759.55579525-1.21
419760.45579522-1.36
419761.35579519-1.46
419762.35579516-1.56
419763.35579513-1.58

What are your units?  You need to specify them in the Cure by Table options.

Ken Grundey

Metres. I'll hunt around for the options - thought they'd be under the Tools or View tab - not located them. Very out of my depth as had software a couple of hours!

Your coordinates are too large.  You have to be within a 1 KM sphere centered around the origin if I remember correctly or something like that (may be only 700 M).

Ken Grundey