Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crosshatching in a Drawing View within Draft

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Sometimes I want to show specific things within a Draft view.  Such as filling all black into a region around the text on an overlay graphic.  Then when I try to fill those areas by using draw in view, Solid Edge most likely will get it wrong.  Either it fills the entire view with the crosshatch, or it says that it can't do it, because the entire boundary is not contained within the view.  It is very hit and miss.  Sometimes, it will even crosshatch different areas of the view, depending on where I click in the view.  Some of it seems to be because Solid Edge can't seem to properly connect all of the curve entitities in a view.  If I zoom way up, I will notice gaps between edges.  Does anyone have an idea why it depends on how you are zoomed, or where you click in the view what gets filled?  I would think a bounded region is a bounded region regardless, and that it should be able to figure out how to create a proper fill.  Sometimes I can fix it by drawing very small line segments within the view, but other times that doesn't seem to work.  It all seems very random.

7 REPLIES

Re: Crosshatching in a Drawing View within Draft

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Does anyone have an idea why it depends on how you are zoomed, or where you click in the view what gets filled?  I would think a bounded region is a bounded region regardless, and that it should be able to figure out how to create a proper fill. 

I always thought it ridiculous that the bounded region has to be completely visible on the screen in order for fill to work.

That makes it extremely difficult when the region is long and narrow. And, why, anyway?

Bruce Shand
ST10 MP10 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

Why, because the pick point relative to the area must be processed by the video card.

This is a limitation of windows. 

I was very pissed off when this also happened in AutoCAD in about 1993 when this became a restriction of drafting under windows rather than DOS.

Windows also prevent you from being 30 keystrokes ahead of the graphics card. My guess is these problem will persist till the end of time.

@12GAGE wrote:

Why, because the pick point relative to the area must be processed by the video card.

This is a limitation of windows. 

That reason just compounds the bizarrenss. Why does auto hatching in a section view not have this limitation?

Is this a verified cause or your hypothesis?

Bruce Shand
ST10 MP10 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

This is just what I have experienced over time. I can't prove anything, but is what I believe unless anybody can prove me wrong. I do know that this was the case back in 1993 from talking with Autodesk, back when you could actually talk with them. I have no reason to believe the way windows and vid cards and pick points work in a PC have changed since, no matter what CAD software we are talking about. 

We still have to get the entire selection of things on the screen to select them. Try a mirror all with some stuff off the screen and see what happens. We still must get the entire hatch area on the scren to make the hatch work.

If there is any way around this, I want to know.

I have struggle to understand this also....where two disc's held appart on threaded rod by a nut either side of each one, and needed to be shown embedded in concrete, so draw in view, sketch a rectangle encompasing most of it, leaving short amount of threaded rod above the concrete, then place a concrete fill pattern, and it fails, until drawing a line segment from the nut, so in some cases I have just not applied a fill.

ST10_DFT_DrawInView_HatchFill_Fail.png

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Ltd
Solid Edge 2019 [MP2] Classic [x3 Seats - Cloud Enabled]
Windows 10 - Quadro P2000

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

But that doesn't explain why I can be zoomed way up on an completely enclosed area, and the crosshatch fails.  I then subdivide that area with another drawn in line.  I try the fil again and it completes the smaller enclosed space.  Or, when I have it zoomed up on an enclosed area, and click to fill and the fill goes beyond the area that is viewed to overflow beyond the area that is enclosed.

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

The entire area (All of the boarders) to be hatched must be on the screen because the video card is involved in the calculation.

When working with structural steel, this is a huge pain in the @$$