Curved cross section view in draft environment.

I have a colleague who wishes to duplicate a curved cross section view that was created in an old manual drawing about 3 decades ago.  See attached sketch.

I draw a circular section line with a straight section at each end and tried using a revolved cross section.  It did not work.

I suspect that Solid Edge does not have this functionality.  If I put an ER in to add this functionality would you guys tag on to it?

13 REPLIES

Re: Curved cross section view in draft environment.

Hello Chris,

I think that the sweep function will do this - see video.

(view in My Videos)

Cheers

Mark

Hi Mark,

No, this is in the draft environment.  The 3D model is already there.  If you look at the previously attached sketch in the original message you will see the curved section lines in the plan view and the desired section view drawn by hand in RED.  It would appear that SE lacks the functionality to generate a section view from those curved section lines.

Cheers,

Chris

[ Edited ]

Hi Chris,

Not sure I see how this would be used in practice......but, as a work around, could'nt you get away with converting to sheetmetal, and using the flat pattern to depict this?

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Limited
Solid Edge ST10 [MP0] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10

Hi Sean,

We have considered that already.  We'll probably just do a few additional sections instead of the fancy curved one.  I reckon it would be a nice enhancement to SE, though, to support a curved X-section.  I'll probably be wasting my time putting in an ER if nobody else shows much interest, so hopefully that is not the case!

Cheers,

Chris

Chris,

OK I gather that you ant to unwrap the part - not really a section view.

From your sketch it appears that you want to unwrap about the mid plane of the part.

If this is correct this would be an insignificant procedure in Draw in View. See attached .jpg.

All I did here was to open the top view in Draw in View, create the mid plane arc by offsetting one of the edges, and then measuring the length of this curve. I then drew the unwrapped profile using this length. This took about 30 seconds.

Cheers

Mark

Hi Mark,

No, it really is a section view, and I am looking for SE functionality to automatically generate that using a curved section line.  The part I showed in my first post is just a quick and dirty example to illustrate the point.  I agree that it would be quick to do the draw in view thing for that simple geometry.  But what if the geometry was rather more complex?  Then we'd be screwed.  Also, I try do avoid like the plague any manual non-associative geometry.

Cheers,

Chris

Chris

We have the same need / problem.

We build facades for buildings (among other things).  One current job has a plan of a double S shape, and an elevation that looks like a roller coaster.  As the facade is "recursive" you cannot produce an elevation that has a clear view.  We needed to flatten the elevation to show the developed form and calculate some sizes.  We could not produce a developed section view and had to re-model the facade on one plane to produce anything meaningful.

We used Frames to make the job easier, but a section view along the double S would have been much quicker.

Let me know the ER if you get one and I'll get my VAR to tag me on.

Alan

Amen brother!  I have submitted this to our VAR and will advise the number as soon as.  Stand by!

IR 7247842