Custom holes, possible?

[ Edited ]

Hi,

I'm new to Solid Edge and wonder if it's possible to make custom holes/cuts? Based on a saved part.

We're using a lot of transducers in our designs, all of them have to be attached using special designed holes, based on specifications provided by the manufactures.

We are looking for a way to insert these holes into our parts easily, so we don't have to create them from the ground up.

Is it possible to create a part of a hole and save it, to be used later as a "custom hole/cut"?

9 REPLIES

Re: Custom holes, possible?

1. Select all the features, that define this custom hole. Probably the easiest way to select would be in Pathfinder.
  2. Then, click with right mouse button (RMB) on selected features and select Copy.
  3. Now, click on Feature Library (similar to parts library when in assembly).
  4. Select the folder, where you want to copy your feature.
  5. Click with RMB and select Paste.
  6. When you will click Paste, new dialog box will appear. This is more for an information about what you are coping.Additionaly, you can enter here your own 'StatusBar Description' in the Prompt field.

Hope, that this description helps.

[ Edited ]

Hi Sven,

Thanks for your reply, but it's not exactly what I'm looking for I think.

Your solution copy multiple features within a part and save it into a new part, correct? At least that's what I experienced after trying.

What i'm looking for is a feature/tool/function to make a hole/cut, based on the structure of another part. It's hard to explain I guess Smiley Sad

Look at the picture in my first post. I have a part identically to the inside of that hole (the part marked with red). How can I use the hole-part to make a hole/cut in another part?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJC08hHa8V4

I hope, it help to develop it, in the way you need it.

Yasser

Does that work when my hole is a sketch?

First about my first reply.

When the features are stored in a folder as a new part, you can use them on any other part. Just drag&drop them on a new part and position them. Later, you can change any parameter you want.

But, if you  have a body created for this part, then you can do the following:

1. in home menu, in solid group, select add body command and create new solid body in your current file. First solid body is the body, that you have modeled and in which you want to create the hole
  2. now, in home menu, clipboard group, select Part copy command
  3. select your solid body, that represent the tool for the hole
  4. position this solid body, as you want
  5. in home menu, in solids group, select the Subtract command (it is under add body command).
  6. now select the target body (first solid body) and then tool body (solid body for creating a hole). 

This last options works since ST6 or ST5, I don't remember exactly. But it can help you, too.

Hello all,

I try it like it is shown in this video and it's work but in Ordered Modus.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJC08hHa8V4

Yasser

SEST5_MP7

Hello,

I tried it in Synchronouns Modus and it's working perfectly too!

Yasser

SEST5_MP7

Hi,

I tried it and it works perfectly!

http://youtu.be/vVPP5CeQ-AI?list=UUiyJVPAqaHP2ULZGiUV13zA

Yasser

SEST5/6

If you use the part copy command to bring in the solid part, and then use the Boolean command to cut out the shape from the solid,
Placing the blank to be booleaned, use the coordinate system, firstly by making a small hole and placing a co-ordinate at the top of the hole this will give positional control, i.e. move the hole and the part copy + Boolean will move also.