Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Custom theme changed in draft

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

The dimension group in my custom theme in draft mode has changed since moving from ST10 to 2019.

Picture one is how it is now:

Dim1.JPG

Picture two is how it was and how I would like it to be:

Dim2.JPG

But I can't find a setting. Anyone out there know?

Bruce Shand
SE2019 MP5 - Insight - Win10 - K4200
11 REPLIES 11

Re: Custom theme changed in draft

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

So you copied your existing ST10 custom theme over to to SE2019?  IMHO copying user settings, including themes from one Solid Edge version to another version never ends well.

If you change back to the Solid Edge default theme what do you see for this grouping?  My default out-of-the-box SE2019 install looks like your desired second image. 

Betreff: Custom theme changed in draft

Hi @bshand 

theer could be several reason for that.

Either You have only changed the theme in use, which could be resolved easily by RMB clicking within the multi tab bar and selecting Your personal theme, or, and that would be a little mor work but also not really a problem, You have to modify it and save it new.

BTW, this is my suggestion to You anyway.

I prefer to use the new default user interface and multibar, and adapt it for my needs and wishes.

Keeping the old ones for several versions could result in missing new functions and features without knowin that they exist.

So, also with RMB go to "Customize Ribbon Bar" and tune it for Your needs.

20190125_1553.png20190125_1554.png

regards
Wolfgang

Yeah, all the defaults have the desired look. Only my custom theme has the weird one.

And not having portability in themes is really the $h!t. My customizations are pretty extensive. Having to repeat them all would take an extensive amount of time. If that's the only option then I'll just live with this.

AAAARRRGGG

Bruce Shand

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

If this is the only thing different then you can hack on the theme xml files.

In a text editor open the default working theme, locate this group of smart dim commands.

In another text editor window open your ported custom theme and locate the same section and group of commands.

Copy and paste the commands from the working default theme and overwrite the same commands in your ported custom theme.

Save your hacked file.

Hi @bshand 

have You deleted the old Customization themes from %appdata%?

regards
Wolfgang

Thanks @hawcad that gets me part way there. There seems to be something broken because the "no text" selection doesn't stick and reverts to "text".

I may try @uk_dave's hack or just live with it or do what you suggest and go back to plain vanilla supplied themes.

It really makes customizing a theme a waste of time the way it works now. And the fact that there are so many modes which stand alone with their own modifications and are often just duplications from other modes compounds the effort and the ultimate waste.

I think development should work on a better way to marry old themes with new but I don't suppose that has much priority.

Bruce Shand

Hi @bshand 

if YOu have the old Customization folder available somewhere (I always backup the on my server), You simply can copy them under the new Customization folder of SE2019

Should work immedeately.

regards
Wolfgang

I was somewhat surprised when installing 2019 that custom themes were automatically placed in the new Siemens appdata folder.

Bruce Shand

Hi @bshand 

I think this always was exactly that way.

If Solid Edge detected an older %appdata% folder when starting a new version the first time, those customized themes was copied to the new appdata of that user.

regards
Wolfgang