Customizing SharePoint Life Cycle Assitant process

Creator
Creator

We are trying to automate some tasks. When a new draft is released we would like complete pdfs automatically created in the released folder.
When a released draft is up reved and thus moved to prerelease. We would like all released pdfs to be deleted.
Then once again, when the draft is released the pdfs will be recreated.

We are running ST6 MP7 with SharePoint 2010.

My question is how can we automate this process? We think that it should be done with custom code in SharePoint.
Is that the best way? What about Insight? Is there some configuration I could do with Insight that would take care of this?

I'm also curious if there are many people customizing their Solid Edge SharePoint solution? There does not seem to be to many posts on the topic here.
Are there others doing this kind of work?

5 REPLIES

Re: Customizing SharePoint Life Cycle Assitant process

Astdev,

We used Insight for 6 years (before we moved over to SESP last year) and as far as I can remember there is no such out of the box configuration available in Insight unfortunately.

SESP kind of does this, it automatically creates pdf's for all drafts and access to files are controlled by the file status, not only the file location.

Kind regards,

Theodore

Creator
Creator

Thank you Theodore

Apparently the migration process from Insight to SESP isn't ideal for us. I'll keep digging for a way to do this with code from SharePoint.

Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

@astdev It really doesn't make sense to try to get into Sharepoint and make it do stuff that Insight/Sharepoint wasn't intended for. That is the point of Solid Edge SP -- it has a much broader and more flexible workflow capability. You can definitely do a migration from Insight to SESP -- but it does require thought and planning. Where are you located? Who is your reseller/support partner?

Dan Staples
Director, Solid Edge Product Development

Creator
Creator

We are in Ottawa. I believe our reseller is Design Fusion from Toronto.

Solution Partner Legend Solution Partner Legend
Solution Partner Legend

This is a very common workflow we offer to our Insight Customers.Many of them use it!

The customers defines the event when the workflow should start eg. Change the status from "Available" to "Released". Then the WF creates the PDF from the Draft and the PDF can be restored in SharePoint, sent to an digital achieve or to the ERP. It is highly customizable.

Also a common solution is to send the BOM from a released Assembly to the ERP. In my opinion the automatic workflows have the highest potential in increasing productivity and quality of work.

We have done this for customers worldwide!

If you need more details please get in touch with me!

Stefan

smitsch@unitec.de
www.all4edge.de